If you follow along over on Instagram, you may have seen a photo of a ton of happy little monsters all colored and ready to be added to cards. I used 8 of them to create a personalized note card set for my daughter's teacher as an end of the year thank you gift. This post is picture heavy...sorry about that, but even though I used the same little monster - I love them all equally.
In order to streamline the process a bit, I put these together in assembly line fashion. Once all of the monsters were colored and embellished, I started working on the little tags. I printed out the "from the desk of Mrs. Nicolas," onto white cardstock and then die cut the tags. I added a little bit of ink blending around the edges and added the monster using foam tape.
I die cut the tag shape in different colors of polka dot and striped paper. I'm not sure why I ever purchase anything but polka dot and/or striped paper - it's all I ever seem to use and I never seem to have enough of it. I quickly combined the two tags by punching a little hole through both and adding a baker's twine bow. I set all of the tags aside and got to work on the kraft cardstock mats. I debated embossing a pattern onto the kraft paper or even just leaving them plan, but decided instead to use a background stamp. I used my paper trimmer to create 8 mats out and then used my MISTI tool to stamp the notebook paper background using Tim Holtz Distress Ink in Walnut. After all the mats were stamped, I ran them through my Cuttlebug using a die from Simon Says Stamp to add the stitched border.
I used my MISTI stamping tool AGAIN to stamp the sentiment using a Versamark ink. The MISTI really helped speed everything along, and ensured the sentiment was straight. The ONE thing I forgot was to use my embossing buddy, to help keep the embossing powder from sticking to anything other than the sentiment. Oh well. I added white embossing powder and set everything using my heat tool.
As soon as I had the kraft cardstock all heat embossed, I cut and folded 8 A2 sized cardstock bases and attached the kraft mat. That whole process would have gone much faster if I hadn't run out of tape for my ATG gun. I wanted all of the tags to sit on the card at a bit of an angle, so I used foam tape between the tags and again to attach them to the card base.
If you made it this far - WOW, thank you for continuing to read and scroll! This was a super long and picture heavy post, but these little monsters are just so cute. We only have two more days of school till summer vacation! Woohoo!
- Mama Elephant - Monster Jam
- Paper Smooches - Sentiment Sampler
- MSS - Vintage Notebook background stamp (no longer available)
- Copic Markers
- The Twinery Baker's Twine (Various Colors)
- Versamark Watermark Ink
- WOW Embossing Powder - Opaque Bright White
- Simon Says Stamp Die Set - DCS151