Monday, April 19, 2010

Creative Card: Embellishing Envelopes

So...here is my belated envelope post.  I hope you're not expecting anything earth shattering.  These are my feelings on envelopes...while I think it's nice to clue the recipient in to the fact that the card he or she is about to receive is homemade, I am not one of those people that spend a ton of time making the envelope look AMAZING!  I can't stand the idea of it being destroyed in the mail or putting the card and embellished envelope in another envelope to protect it.  I'd honestly rather spend the majority of my time making a beautiful card.

Here are 3 really fast and cute ways to jazz up your envelopes without spending a ton of time doing it.

Lining - I'm not sure if this is the "correct" way to line an envelope, but it works for me!



1.  Measure the length of the adhesive on the envelope's flap - for this envelope it was 4 1/2".
2.  Next, measure the length of the envelope from the adhesive to the bottom of the envelope - for this one it was 5 7/8".  Then cut your patterned paper accordingly.

3.  Apply double-stick tape (or whatever adhesive you prefer) to one edge of the patterned paper and carefully shimmy it to the
bottom of the envelope.  Once you're sure that it's centered, press it down, so it makes contact with the envelope.
4.  Apply double-stick tape to the top of the patterned paper and affix it to the envelope flap - right under the envelope's adhesive.






5.  Score the patterned paper using whatever means you like, so when the envelope's flap is folded over you are able to get a good crease in the paper as well.  For something this small I use a ruler and a bone folder. 





Stamping
This is probably the easiest and most self-explanatory.

Embossing

I normally use one of the Cuttlebug's border embossing folders, but the regular A2 embossing folders also work.

Center the embossing border on the edge of the envelope's flap and run it through your Cuttlebug.  Pretty easy stuff!







No comments: