Monday, April 12, 2010

Creative Card: New Home

I have been wanting an excuse to make this cute card since I first purchased the Wild Card cartridge and since my parents just bought a new house, it seemed like the perfect excuse!  This card took less than 15 minutes to make and that was even with my little one "helping" me in my craft room.   

Quick Tip: When using the "Fit to Page" button on the Cricut Expression, you can preview the size prior to cutting by pressing "ok."  (This actually works with all of your feature buttons on the Expression)  When I use the "Fit to Page" for a cut that has layers, I always figure out the size first, then remove "Fit to Page" and choose the correct size on the size wheel based on what the Cricut recommends.  That way I won't forget later and cut the layers out using the wrong size. 

Card Instructions:

  • 8x8 sheet of textured cardstock for base of the house card cut at 7 1/4 inches
  • The roof, window frame and potted topiaries are all cut at 7 1/4 (The layers on Wild Card are all based on the size of the card you cut). I cut out the topiaries twice to achieve a different color for the pots.
  • Tsukineko Dew Drop Brilliant Inks to shade  (I find that the small size is easier to use when shading little die cuts.)
Quick Tip: I don't always have the best luck using textured cardstock for die cuts.  If the cuts don't turn out quite as clean as I like, I have found that a bit of shading with ink hides many many flaws.  (I know there are a ton of other mediums to use when shading, but this is all I've tried so far.)

No comments: