Thursday, April 15, 2010

Creative Craft: Memory Game Part 1

 
The original inspiration for this craft came from The Martha Stewart Show and after watching them use paper punches for the different shapes, I decided that the Cricut could probably do even better, but as I hinted earlier in the week - the Cricut is totally optional for this craft.  You could use paper punches like the inspiration project or even photocopied images - whatever you like! 
 
Don't forget to check back next week to see the finished game!  (Who knows...I may break down and film a video for it.) 

 
Materials Used:
  • Wood squares or rectangles from your local craft store - I found mine at Hobby Lobby (packaged 4 for 99 cents).  The original project used wooden squares purchased from Wood Works.
  • Patterned 12x12 paper (K&Co. - shown)
  • Mod Podge - I used matte for my project, but it comes in a few different varieties.
  • Sponge or Bristle Brush (whatever you like or whatever you have on hand)
  • Coarse grit sand paper
  • Bone folder to smooth out any air bubbles
  • Something to hold your finished game - I am using a mailbox that I found in the Target $1 section around Valentine's Day, but anything would work.  I think a little wooden box or a little bag would be adorable.

Let's get started:
  1. Using your sand paper, sand away any rough edges on the game pieces.
  2. Cut out rectangles of the patterned paper based on the size of the wooden game piece using your Cricut or a paper cutter - or heck, even scissors and a ruler. 
    • I used a rectangle from Cricut's George and Basic Shapes cut at 3 1/2".  Using the "Auto Fill" feature on the Cricut Expression, I was able to cut out 12 rectangles per 12 x 12 page.
  3. OPTIONAL: shade the edges of your patterned paper to give it a more "vintage-y" look.
  4. Apply a thin layer of Mod Podge on the top of a game piece and center a rectangle of patterned paper on the wooden game piece.
  5. Apply another thin layer of Mod Podge on top of the patterned paper.  Smooth out any air bubbles using your bone folder and let dry.  Repeat this step at least 3 times or until you get the look you desire.  (I wanted a thick enough layer to add a bit of sheen to the top of the game piece and so you couldn't feel the edge of the paper.)
 

No comments: