Thursday, April 29, 2010

Creative Craft: Memory Game Part 3 (The End)

It's finally done!!!  Woohoo!  I am really happy with how the final project turned out and best of all my daughter LOVES it, which makes it even better.  If you missed parts 1 and 2 of the project, you can check them out HERE and HERE.  Even if you don't have a need for a memory game - these would make darling gift tags or even ornaments.  In the video I mention that I will post a slide show of the finished images...I lied.  At the time it wasn't a lie, but after a bit of a drama with uploading the video I think the above picture will suffice and truthfully I'm tired.  :)  I hope you enjoy the video and if anyone out there tries this project, I would love to see pictures of how your project turns out!

Project Tips:
  • Realistically, I would say this project will take two days total to complete due to drying time.  I allowed the final coat to set up overnight before allowing my daughter to play with the game.
  • Set up the project "assembly line" fashion.  It takes between 8-10 minutes for the Mod Podge to dry depending on the thickness of the coats you apply, so if you have everything ready to go - by the time you are done applying your a coat of Mod Podge to your last card, your first card will be ready for its next coat.
  • If you are using card stock, depending on the weight of the paper, you will need to use 7-8 coats of Mod Podge to get a smooth finish.  (If there is ever a time to use cheap card stock, this is it.)  If you are using paper, it will take between 4-5 coats for a smooth finish.
  • If you use pigment ink or any other medium to add details or shading to your image, make sure to allow enough time for the ink to dry otherwise the Mod Podge will streak the ink.  (I know because I was a bit impatient and the shading on the ice cream cone got a little streaked.)
  • If you are using layered images, try and reduce the layers as much as possible. I removed any layers that would not be visible from the front.  (See image below)

2 comments:

Dawn said...

This turned out so cute! I've been keeping my eyes open for those mailboxes at target (I'm a targetaholic) and they haven't had them lately. What an adorable idea! I'm thinking about making a few sets of them to save for gifts! They would be cute in a little organza bag too, since I can't seem to get a mailbox. Love it Lauren!

Dawn said...

Alright, after a trip to my local Michael's, I got the wood to make these (I think mine will end up smaller) but I got the 'top' solid layer on just now, and I'm going to be working on these more tomorrow! Of course I will link up to show them to you (and give you credit!)