Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Creative Craft: Ponytail Streamers

 
Surprise!!!  I'm posting my first video!  I started typing out the instructions for making this very cute hair accessory (which is super easy) and the directions got soo long and so complicated that I decided it would be so much easier to demonstrate how to make it.  And, voila a video was born.  (I wish it were that easy.) 
 
Funny story, which will also explain why videos will be a rarity on this blog for the time being...my regular camera takes great video as well as still images, but I don't have video editing software that supports the type of files that that the camera records.  And...since we can't really afford to go buy a Mac which would give me the best and easiest means to edit videos, there will be no editing of any videos.  That means that I have to film a video from start to finish without stopping.  This is alright for projects like the one I'm showcasing today- super easy and quick, but not so great for projects that take longer than 10 minutes to complete from start to finish.  This would explain the above photograph and why I made 6 ponytail holders for my daughter over the last few days.  I was sure that if I filmed just one more time it would be perfect.  On the upside, it was fun to play around with the video and my daughter now has a summer's worth of ponytail holders.  I apologize that it's a little dark and a little blurry at times - I will try and get it together before I post another video!  :)
 
Materials Used:
  • Grosgrain ribbon - it helps to have a few different colors and widths, but there really isn't any right or wrong combination
  • Ponytail elastic
  • Needle and embroidery floss (2 strands) - really any kind of thread will work, just make sure to use 2 strands
  • Hot Glue


 

9 comments:

Dawn said...

This is SOOOO cute! I LOVE them! You did an awesome job on your first video, even though you couldn't edit it, I don't think you needed to. I am going to attempt this today at naptime for my two year old too! :-) I'm getting married in juune and think this would look too cute with their polka dot dresses!

Thank you so much lauren! This is awesome! I'm going to make some, and post them on my blog, and I'll link over to yours if thats okay?

Lisanne said...

So cute! I am definitely making these for all the nieces for Christmas :)

Amanda said...

What withds of ribbon did you use in your video?

Lauren Brewer said...

I used anywhere from 7/8" to 3/8" ribbon. It doesn't really matter the exact widths, but I have found that they turn out better when you have a variety of larger and smaller widths.

Amanda said...

What width did you use when you tied the knot and glued it around the middle of the ponytail streamer when it was done?

Lauren Brewer said...

For the ponytail streamer in the video, the center knot - the brown grosgrain is 3/8" layered with the turquoise 1/4" grosgrain. The 3/8" ribbon works the best for the knot because it's small enough so it's easy to knot and have it look good, but it's still wide enough to cover up the center. Hope that helps!
Lauren

Anonymous said...

Thank you! The video saved the day. First soccer game is tomorrow and there were no red hair bows anywhere in town, ( yes, it's a small town) so I went to wal mart and had the shopping done and ribbon made all in 30 minutes! Was so easy I made one for her friend too!

Anonymous said...

Now I have bow-fever again! Can you tell me the easiest way to put these in my girls ponytails? When I try to wrap the elastic tie, the ribbons get all tangled in =(

Lauren Brewer said...

I am so sorry - I just saw the above comment. I miss these - my daughter is 8 now and doesn't like the streamers as much as she used to when she was younger. The easiest way I've found is to put the hair in a ponytail with a plain elastic and THEN put the ponytail streamers in. I hope that helps!