Friday, April 9, 2010

Creative Party: Pink Birthday Party


For my daughter's 1st birthday I chose Pink as the theme - like Shelby from Steel Magnolias - "blush and bashful."  This them was perfect for a birthday party, but I think it would also be a really cute baby or bridal shower. 
 

My goal for any party is to be able to be a guest at my own party.  That means the more I can get done ahead of time the better - from food to decorations.   

Invitation:  I bought invitations from a local invitation store and printed them myself.  You can find so many great fonts online and with some careful manuevering in a word processing program - they will look like they came from the printers. 


Decor:  I had been eyeing the Martha Stewart Craft Poms forever and a birthday party seemed like the perfect excuse to try them. The kit was nice because all of the materials were already put together, but I could have just as easily accomplished the Pom Poms on my own if I would have found the directions on Martha's website.  (Lucky for you - I found it today!)  The paper poms are so fun and easy to make that I decided to make lots (maybe a hundred) of paper flowers on a smaller scale to decorate the rest of the party.  I did one huge arrangement of "peonies"  for the beverage area, smaller arrangements for the tables and a wreath for the door.  It doesn't get much cheaper than tissue paper, floral wire and floral tape and you get a huge visual impact!  I used a simple white table cloth for the food table and bought a few yards of pink tulle to run down the center.  (I turned the tulle into a tutu for my daughter after the party.)  I bought varying shades of pink paper goods and flatware and picked up helium ballons in, you guessed it, varying shades of pink.



Menu: I tried to keep the menu pretty simple and include things that both adults and children would like.  I made all of the dips a week in advance to save time the day of the party.  Quick Tip: Even if you are buying things from the market if you arange them on a pretty white platter they will automatically look 100 times better. Ditch the plastic trays and no one will be the wiser.


  • Iced Tea and Pink Lemonade 
  • Fruit Platter with Raspberry Lemon Dip  
  • Vegetable Platter with Sundried Tomato Dip (from Barefoot Contessa Cookbook)
  • Chips with Pan Fried Onion Dip (sooo good, but it is not so good for you.)
  • Potato Salad
  • Sandwich Tray from local market
  • Yellow Cake with Strawberry Buttercream (Cake recipe is from America's Test Kitchen - you have to register to view - so annoying, but the cake is amazing, so totally worth it.)
  • Pink M&Ms (My daughter's birthday is in late January, so I took advantage of the Valentine's candy that was already in stores.)
kids table

No comments: