Monday, April 26, 2010

Creative Tour: My (Our) Craft Room

Instead of showing a craft today, I thought I would give you a tour of my craft room.  I love getting a peek into other people's craft spaces to see how they organize everything.  If you would like to see more craft rooms, check out THIS slideshow on Martha Stewart's website.  You can also check out Martha's craft room and swoon!  There are some really great ideas!

I go into a bit of this in my video, but just in case my poor camera work keeps you from watching the whole thing - here's the story of my craft room:  I have only been paper crafting since November of 2009.  I saw an ad in the Michael's after-Thanksgiving sale for the Cricut and I started researching it.  I have always loved crafting, so the Cricut seemed like a fun addition to my craft tools and the price was right.  I headed over to Michael's after our Thanksgiving celebration thinking - "What crazy people would actually go to Michael's on Thanksgiving?"  Well, there were a lot of crazy "Cricut-ers" waiting in line outside our local Michael's.  I was completely overwhelmed when I got inside because I didn't know what cartridges to buy or if I would need other tools.  Luckily, there were some VERY nice ladies there that took me under their wings and told me what cartridges would be good to start out with and what other items that I might want.  Fast forward to Christmas and I had realized by that time that the little Cricut was great, but the Expression could do SOOO much more!  I had convinced myself that I should keep using the little Cricut and maybe ask for the Expression for my birthday (in AUGUST).  My dear devoted husband surprised me with the Expression for Christmas and it was waiting for me underneath my stocking along with a note that read: "Don't be mad at me.  I got a really good deal."  (Of course I couldn't be mad - I was too shocked!)  Once I got the Expression, we decided that our poor office that had recently become a dumping ground for our daughter's outgrown baby items should become our "hobby room."  We cleaned everything out and made room for my craft items and his guitar equipment.  So...that might be a lot of information, but that is how I got my very own craft room.  No more crafting at the dining room table.  I am a VERY lucky lady and honestly, the craft room is now my favorite place to be in our house.  It makes me happy to just be in it. 





As promised in the video, here are a few stills:
This is a close-up of my glitter drawer.  You can see my Martha Glitter Glue Pens that I use in a lot of my projects.  I have some Stickles too, but the Martha glitter is my favorite.  I also have a lot of regular glitter, which I still like, but it's a little messy for small projects.
The sitting area - this is where I write blog posts and spend many an hour looking online.  :)
This last picture shows my Cricut cartridges (I store them on an old DVD holder and I keep my paper trimmer, Gypsy, camera - basically anything my 2 yr. old shouldn't be playing with on the "counter" of the built-in.

6 comments:

Amy Jo said...

Love your craft room! It's very pretty. Thank you soo much for the blog award as well.

Dawn said...

So cute! I love that you have a sitting area along with a work area. I always want to hang out in my scraproom, but I hate that I have to sit in my working chair. Maybe I can kick Adam out...

Dawn said...

So, the loser I am didn't watch the video until after my other comment, but my little girl gets into EVERYTHING in my scraproom also, and it makes me crazy! I too, have an addiction to keeping scraps that I'm pretty confident will never be used. I got my little cricut for christmas, and just two short weeks later ordered my expressions, because I HAD to have it!

Scrappy Mel said...

I am so jealous!! I have a craft "section" (not even a corner) of the front room! :( We have 3 kids in a 3 br house so there are no extra rooms for me. LOL I keep dreaming that someday the housing market will get better and we can move so I can have a place of my own :::: Sigh :::: - it's good to have a dream, right? :)

Lauren B. said...

Dawn - you just need to keep decreasing his space. :) My husband's area seems to get smaller and smaller - he did have to put the guitars on the wall to have a place to keep them. ;)

ScrappingStephanie said...

Love your craft space...and video was just fine, not too shaky at all. TFS!

Stephanie

http://stephanieandthebug.blogspot.com