Monday, May 10, 2010

Creative Scrapbook Layout: "If the Crown Fits"


I'm sure that if you frequent a lot of Cricut themed sites, you have probably run across Everyday Cricut.  I was so inspired by their Saturday Designer's Post.  If you haven't seen Monique Griffith's blog MonkeyDoodle Cricut - you should check it out.  Her projects are beautiful - she has a great sense of color and utilizes every space in her layouts.  Since I'm so new to scrapbooking (about one month into it at this point), I'm not really sure whether or not I have found my "style" yet, so I made a compromise with myself - one week of super girly themed projects - but I had to try some new techniques.  (Roughly translated...I can't glitter EVERYTHING!)

"Scrap-lifting" did not come without a few consequences - I cut my finger open using my x-acto knife while trying to cut the cupcake out to accent the top of the journaling space, I had no idea how hard making little stitch lines would be and the layout took me a whopping 2 hours to complete.  Whew!  Trying out new things takes a lot of time!






Materials Used:

  • 12 x 12 base - brown cardstock from DCWV Cardstock Stack
  • 12 x 12 frame cut at 10" from Gypsy Wanderings  - DCWV Sweet Stack
  • Flower Mat cut at 8.32 from Storybook - welded along with the 12 x 12 frame - DCWV Sweet Stack
  • Accent Strip cut at +++ x 12 - DCWV Sweet Stack
  • Photo Mats cut at 4 1/2 x 6 1/2 & 4 1/4 x 6 1/4 from George and Basic Shapes
  • Journaling Mats cut at 3 1/4", 3 3/4", and 4" from George and Basic Shapes - attached with pop dots
  • "If the Crown Fits" sentiment cut at 2" from Once Upon a Princess - attached with pop dots
  • Ice Cream Cone cut at 1" from Once Upon a Princess - attached with pop dots (please note that I think there was at some point a stem for the cherry, but it got lost somehow, so I drew the stem)
  • Cupcake cut at 1 1/2" from Once Upon a Princess - attached with pop dots
  • Balloons cut at 2 1/4" from Once Upon a Princess - attached with pop dots (please note that the balloons' strings tore twice when I cut them, so I decided to give up and draw in their strings)
  • "2" in crown cut at 2 3/4" from Once Upon a Princess (font) - attached with pop dots
  • Tsukineko Pigment Ink - Cosmic Copper
  • Sakura Gelly Roll Pen - White
  • Turquoise jewels - K & Co

7 comments:

liz said...

just adorable! so much detail!

btw...I have you listed on my blog that I follow you, but it won't update when you post something new. I've never had this happen before. Do you if it's something on your end? Your things are so cute, I wouldn't want to miss something! :o)

Lauren B. said...

Thanks for the head's up Liz! I'll check into that. (Maybe that's why I'm not getting very many comments!) :)

Carolyn said...

I started following you awhile back as well after seeing something you posted on MPS. I did just now get all of your updates and watched/looked at them all. You are very talented and I enjoyed them all. Your scrap room is very nice and well organized. I love this scrap layout! Thanks for sharing. I look forward to stalking your blog for inspiration! :)

Lauren B. said...

Thanks Carolyn! Sorry that you were inundated with updates this morning! I think I fixed the problem for good - fingers crossed. Please feel free to blog stalk anytime!!!

Lauren B. said...

Thanks Carolyn! Sorry that you were inundated with updates this morning! I think I fixed the problem for good - fingers crossed. Please feel free to blog stalk anytime!!!

Dawn said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE that paper! I need to go get that stack and I am loving, absolutely loving my new cart! Thanks for the help picking it out! :-)

Got2BCrafting said...

I can see why this is your favorite LO... absolutely positivley ADORABLE! GREAT job!
Lori