Monday, July 26, 2010

Creative Craft: Fairy Wand How-To

How many wands does Nicole "need?"  Evidently, A LOT!

Today's craft was requested by a viewer/reader.  (Hi Amanda!!!  I hope this helps!)  These fairy wands are a huge hit in my house and guess what???  They are super easy to make.  (No really, it's a ridiculously simple project, but very cute!)  I made 20 of them as party favors for my niece's 5th birthday party, and they were a BIG hit!  IF you are making multiple wands, my suggestion is to make them assembly-line fashion.  I started making each wand one by one and I literally had a breakdown.  I couldn't believe I had agreed to make soo many wands.  Then...I calmed down (I mean, come on they're just fairy wands.) and realized that it would go much faster to work on one step at a time.  

I also realize that I don't give any measurements in the video...this is intentional.  I can't tell you exactly how much ribbon you'll need because it is completely dependent on the width of your ribbon, the length and diameter of your wooden dowel, as well as how you end up wrapping the wand.  If you are making multiples, here is my suggestion - wrap one wand, then unwrap it, measure the amount of ribbon you used and cut all of the ribbon you will need for the wands.  



To see how to make the "tutu pouf" - click HERE!

Do you have a viewer request???  I would love to hear your suggestions - be it paper crafting or something else.  Let me know!

Have a happy Monday!


13 comments:

Erica said...

Okay, this one. This is the craft I am seriously going to do. As soon as I'm relatively sure that Anna won't immediately stick it into her mouth, and then eye. And then mouth.

Rhonda Emery said...

super cute thanks for sharing.

PinkCrafter said...

Lauren,

Very Cute. My nieces will love these fairy wands. I will definitely try them thanks.

mum of two said...

Oh my gosh I love these!! they will be perfect for my daughter's next birthday. TFS :)

michelle

Ro said...

These wands are so supercute!! TFS!

Scrappy Mel said...

Very cute! I just might have to give this a try (and soon, my youngest daughter is turning 6 - LOL)!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this. You are awesome.
Amanda

My Scrap Diary said...

These are so adorable. Im going to try this out and make some for my niece. I showed her your layouts and she totally fell in love with them. So now you have another follower :)
Btw, I made my first mini using the Once Upon A Princess cart & it reminded me of your work. I remebered that its one of your fave carts. Stop by & let me know what you think
Jess M.

http://myscrapdiary-jess.blogspot.com/2010/07/first-mini-album-once-upon-princess.html

DORCAS said...

I love these! Way cute! My girls will want to do this little project!! Thanks for sharing!

Lori B said...

I'm so happy I found your blog! I made a fairy wand today using your video instructions and it turned out amazing! I'm making 9 more for party favors for my daughter's 5th birthday next month and on Etsy it would have cost $5-10 a piece to do that! You saved me money but the best part was it was so FUN! Thank you!!!

P.S- Sorry for all the !!!!! but I'm really excited LOL

Pilarjsanchez said...

How did you attach the tulle to the wand you made for the flower fairy costume? I tried making a similar wand and I attached the tulle by tying it on the stick and sliding it up to the base of the leaf, but you could see all the knots in the tulle when I held the wand upright. Is there a prettier way to do this?

Lauren Brewer said...

@Pilarjsanchez - the leaves I used had a little wire in them, so I was able to bend them down, and they concealed the knots.

Anonymous said...

These r 2 cute!