Monday, August 23, 2010

Creative Card: "Howdy, Neighbor"

Today's card features another cute sentiment from the Scrappy Moms "The Charmed Life" Set!  This is one of those ideas that started out with the best intentions, but here's the thing...I think I could have saved myself a lot of time (and stress) by just cutting a rectangle of cardstock and attaching the cowgirl and the horse to the front.  In an effort to provide full disclosure...I'm providing directions for both, but if you want to "scrap-lift" or "card-lift" this one - do as I say, not as I do.  ;)

I used my 12 x 24 mat so my card could be as close to 12" long as possible.
Materials Used:
  • Card Base (with Gypsy or DS or the way NOT to do it): rectangle is sized at 7.25" x 5" using real dial size from George and Basic Shapes.  I welded a 5" princess from Once Upon a Princess to the left side and a 3.5" horse from Create a Critter to the right side of the rectangle.  I then scored the card at 3" and 7.75".  I added another piece of patterned paper underneath the princess (sized at 3.5" x 5") because I didn't like that I could see inside the card.
  • Card Base (without Gypsy or DS): trim a piece of cardstock to 5" x 9.5"  Score the card base at 3.25" and 8". (Note...score with the patterned side of the paper up)  You can then attach your princess and horse to the front of the card and achieve the same effect.  (In fact...maybe I should have done that.)
  • Princess and her cowgirl outfit cut at 5" from Once Upon a Princess- I used the hide contour feature on my gypsy to hide her eyes, so I could use a face stamp.
  • Horse is cut at 3.5" from Create a Critter - I used the hide contour feature on my Gypsy to hide his eyes and mouth, so I could use a face stamp.
  • Tag is cut at 1.22" and 1.14" from Once Upon a Princess
  • Sentiment from Scrappy Moms "The Charmed Life" set
  • Tim Holtz Distress Ink - Frayed Burlap
  • Sakura Gelly Roll Pen - White
  • Martha Stewart Glitter Glue - Fire Opal and Tourmaline
  • PK Princess Face Stamps.  
    • For the horse...I stamped each eye one at a time and then the mouth to make it work for him (or her)
    • For the cowgirl...I didn't ink her eyebrows, since her hair would have covered most of them up.  I also colored in her mouth with a colored pencil and used my white gel pen for the inside of her mouth.
Sorry for the super long directions today...if you are new to the blog, I PROMISE that most of my projects are normally not this complicated.  

Hope you are having a great Monday!

For more inspiration - check out Momo's super cute card HERE!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your cowgirl! I think it turn out adorable!!!

Thanks for your time & efforts, I know cutting so many pieces is time consuming...but with beautiful results

Cristy
myblisszone@yahoo.com

joeygirl86 said...

Now that is too stinkin cute! Are you loving your PK stamps?! :)

Scrappy Mel said...

This card is adorable!! I LOVE how you used the face stamps on the horse! He/she is so cute! :)

Maureen Reiss said...

Soooooo cute!

HappyExpressions said...

Super cute! TFS!

Linda said...

That is too cute. Your work is so darling. I just started making cards and I get very frustrated daily, so it is refreshing to hear that even "pros" get frustrated as well!

DORCAS said...

AHH! I love this card! Super cute!