Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Creative Scrapbook Layout: "Bath Time"

 Hmmm...let me start by saying - this layout is cuter in person.  I was also planning on making this a double layout, but when I looked back through the pictures - only three made the cut for the scrapbook.  Sometimes things don't work out...the end.  

For those of you that have read the blog for awhile...this is old info, but for anyone that is new to the blog - this is how I scrapbook.  I began scrapbooking in April of 2010, which means that I started out 2 years and 4 months behind.  (I won't even go into the fact that my wedding album isn't even done yet and we have been married for almost eight years.)  I have taken hundreds of pictures of my daughter and rather than become completely overwhelmed by hundreds of pictures staring me down...I scrap "virtually."  Before I sit down to come up with a layout, I scroll through the pictures on my computer (possibly shed a tear or two) and choose which group of pictures that I'd like to scrap.  This way I get an idea of how many pictures I want to include and what sizes I think will work best.  I also am able to come up with a theme for the page...possibly even a color scheme.  (I have been known to choose a color scheme based on what outfit my daughter is wearing in the pictures.)  Once I have selected the pictures I am going to use, I upload them to an online site (I use Shutterfly, but I know that there are tons.) and put them into an  album titled "Scrapbook Pgs ___." Once there are enough pictures in the album to justify paying shipping or better yet, when Shutterfly has a sale - THEN I order the pictures.  Once the pictures arrive all I have to do is crop the pictures and write out a journal entry.  I have no idea if my "method" will work for you, but I thought it might help someone else.

Materials Used:
  • 12 x 12 base: DCWV Flower Shower Cardstock Stack
  • Accents: (1) 4 1/4 x 12 and 5 x 12 - DCWV Flower Shower Stack
  • Photo Mats: (3) 4 1/2 x 4 1/2 and 4 1/4 x 4 1/4 (will fit 4 x 4 pictures)
  • "Bath Time" cut at 4" from Sugar and Spice
  • "Duck" (by title) cut at 1.88" from Sugar and Spice  (It is supposed to be cut at 4" to be part of the title, but it didn't work for this layout, so I ended up cutting it smaller)
  • "Bath tub" cut at 3" from Sugar and Spice
  • "Duck" (in the tub) cut at 4" from Create a Critter
  • Tim Holtz Distress Ink - Frayed Burlap
  • Martha Stewart Permanent Pen - Chesnut
  • "Skittles ???"  (Not sure if this is what they are called) I used them for the bubbles.  
  • Stickles - Baby Blue (faucet and the tub's feet)

P.S.  Some of you may remember my scrap paper situation.  If you need a refresher, you can view my craft room tour HERE where my shame is on display for all to see.  (Keep in mind that was four months ago, so it's MUCH worse now.)  Well, I finally had enough and I cleaned out my scrap drawer yesterday.  I'm not sure if this new method will work, but I am giving it a go.  I'll update you after I use it for awhile.  

I sorted everything by color and all of the patterned paper by group.


I should have another sneak peek of the brand new Scrappy Moms Stamps later today or first thing in the morning.  (We'll see how the rest of the afternoon pans out.)


If you would like to see some more sneak peeks of the new stamps, check out these wonderful projects!


12 comments:

My Scrap Diary said...

This is such a cute lo Lauren. Congrats on almost being finished with ur proj. And I like ur method of creating them on ur compt and then bringing it to life. I think I'll borrow ur idea an sketch some out. This way I won't feel so overwhelmed when I start on all the stacks that are staring me down.
And ur scrap storing method seems like a great idea. I think it will help keep u organized. I had a similar method going for me but they were all in the same bag. Now it's a big mess again. But with the smaller pieces I started punching out 1/2-1" circles to use them for paper buttons. I do this as I work so I don't let the pile grow an I don't feel frustrated to do a lot at the same time.
Thanks for the idea!
Jess

Amanda said...

I love that method! I am going to try that out. I always over order or wish I had the pictures I want to use a smaller size or even black & white. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

OMG Lauren I have to say that I have never seen layouts like yours. They are simple, but beautiful and incredibly
creative and inspiring. . I just can't say enough about them.

Thanks..
Evie Martino

Kraftychick said...

Lauren:
This is an awfully cute LO - I LOVE your use of the skittles as bubbles (thanks for the idea!!). As for storing my scraps, I put them in huge zip lock storage bags by color and hang them on a skirt/pants hanger in the closet in my scrap room. All I have to do is unhook the bag I need or take the hanger out to use the scraps. Hope that helps!

jackie

joeygirl86 said...

This is adorable! I love the 'bubbles'!! I like the way you have your paper organized by color..I think I am going to do that! tfs :) btw Walgreens has pretty good prices on pics , I usually get mine for .10 cents a pic.

scrappy critters said...

Cuter in person?? I cannot imagine! I am in envy of all your gorgeous layouts. Mine are YEARS behind... you are amazing! LOVE The page!!♥Tammy

Mrs. A said...

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your layouts and your blog!! Thank you for sharing your method of printing pics and creating ideas for LO's. I am very new to this...in fact, so new I've only made about ten cards using my expression and I have to say they were NOT cute! Anyhow, I was wondering how I should start, where I should start, etc. I guess I should start by picking out some pictures, right? Thanks again!

the cricutologist said...

I love the use of the skittles!!!! Wow! I gotta scrap lift this LO! Great job!

Scrappy Mel said...

You are so amazing!! I was looking back at my 1st scrapbook and they are NOTHING like your layouts! (Heck, my pages now are nothing like your layouts - LOL)

Nicole is one VERY lucky little girl!! It just shows how much you love her.

ScrappyGirl said...

I just started following your blog this week. I was amazed to learn today you have only been scrapping a few months! You do amazing work. I love your method. That is how I digital scrapbook, but I had not thought to do the same when I'm traditional scrapbooking. Maybe that is why I get bogged down on traditional! I use Creative Memories Memory Manager to organize my pictures. I like it because it keeps backups and has some powerful editing tools not usually found in a package at this cost. Anyway... they have some album planning incorporated in the software. I haven't used it, but after reading about your method, I am guessing it will be perfect for planning using your method. I have been scrapping for over 11 years, but you taught me a HUGE lesson just by sharing your method. (digital photography overwhelms me sometimes! just because of the sheer numbers of photos we take) So glad to follow you!

Stacey said...

Okay so I just "found" you... through Club Ruby! I am so loving your layouts and how awesome are you for even posting all of your cut sizes?!! WOW! Super thanks for that! I have 3 boys... so I am a bit jealous of all the pinks and purples you are using!

I scrap like you... over whelmed by the amount of pictures that I take I started just going through a month of pics and picking some to scrap... however my method of remembering which ones I have actually done is not so good! So I am going to try your way! Thanks for the idea!

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of storing bits of paper in ziplock bags!