Monday, August 30, 2010

Creative Scrapbook Layout: Happy Birthday - Cake!!!


I'm continuing the birthday theme with another double layout.  The LAST layout I worked on didn't turn out exactly like I had imagined it.  I was wondering why I didn't like it and sweet Cristina from Crafting with Cristina pointed out what should have been obvious to me.  The colors that I used were a lot darker than I normally use.  Thank you Cristina - I can't tell you how much that was bugging me!  Even though I used the same Echo Park papers, I made a conscious effort to lighten up the colors for this layout.  Two more birthday themed layouts to go and I will be done with Nicole's first birthday pictures - woohoo!  

My mom was shocked that I was brave enough to cut the cake in half!
My parents were in town over the weekend, so I was lucky enough to have my mom help me with this layout.  It was so much fun to have someone to chat with and to help me pick out colors and papers.  I need more crafty friends (insert sad pathetic face here).  :)  This was also the first time that my mom has seen any of my scrapbook pages in person.  She said that you miss out on a lot of the details when you just see the pictures, so I will try to start taking a few detail pictures of my projects.





Materials Used:
  • (2) 12 x 12 pieces of cardstock for base
  • (2) 4 x 12 pieces of striped cardstock
  • (2) 6 x 12 pieces of floral patterned cardstock
  • Photo Mats
    • (3) 4 1/2 x 4 1/2 and 4 1/4 x 4 1/4 to fit a 4 x 4 picture
    • (2) 4 1/2 x 6 1/2 and 4 1/4 x 6 1/4 to fit a 4 x 6 picture
  • "Happy Birthday" cut at 3.5" from Once Upon a Princess
    • Embossed the present using the Cuttlebug's Swiss Dot A2 Folder
    • Attached with pop dots
  • "Birthday Cake" cut at 10.5" from Sweet Treats
    • Used my Gypsy to "hide" the Happy Birthday Phrase
    • Attached with pop dots
  • (2) "Balloons" cut at 3.5" from Once Upon a Princess
    • Used my Gypsy to "hide" their faces
    • Attached with pop dots
  • (2) "Cake Slice" cut at 2.54" from Sweet Treats
    • Embossed the yellow layer using the Cuttlebug's Swiss Dot A2 Folder
    • Attached with pop dots
  • Buttons from Michael's
    • Attached with glue dots
  • Tim Holtz Distress Ink - Frayed Burlap
  • Martha Stewart Pen - Chestnut
  • One super helpful fun mom!!!






Hope you are having a wonderful Monday!

19 comments:

liz said...

Lauren, this absolutely adorable! I know that you didn't like the first layout, I went back and looked again, I still like it! Somehow I missed the dec0orations before...I guess I didn't scroll down enough, but they are adorable too. I bet it looks even better in person!
liz:o)

HappyExpressions said...

Great LO! Pretty colors and papers.

craftymom205 said...

Love the layout. Great colors.

CJToo ~ Tracy said...

This layout is soooo adorable! I loooove it! :) The colors are sooo yummy and the buttons just finish everything off. Great job....:)
♥Tracy

Scrappy Mel said...

This layout is BEAUTIFUL! I can tell how much detail you put into your pages! You should be VERY proud of your work. :)

JennyKozar said...

So beautiful! Pictures never do give our creations the credit it deserves! TFS!!

Jenny Kozar

Cristina said...

Lauren,

this is Fantastic, I just love what you did with the cake in the middle, and the button OH MY WORD, you are one talented chica!!

You put so much love and detail in your pages and I just adore it. Love the swiss dots on the cakes. Looks so yummy!!

Your layouts are always amazing

I'm glad my little suggestion helped you!!

:)

Cristina
http://www.craftingwithcristina.com

Mrs. A said...

I love everything you create!! Even though your last LO was not as bright, I loved it just as much! You are super duper mega talented! You're my fave!!
~Molly

Angie said...

I LOVE IT! LOVE that you cut the cake in half!!!!

Monica Flores said...

I love your layout!! You have inspired me tremendously!! Can't wait to make a cake and add some buttons. TFS

Monica

www.simplycricutting.blogspot.com

Mari AKA Momo said...

Lauren this is absolutely adorable as always!!! I loved the last layout too!!! I love everything you make my friend. Thanks for taking the time to come and watch the live class last night! I really appreciate it!! XOXO Momo

joeygirl86 said...

Love your bday LO! The buttons are such the perfect touch! :)

aremus said...

Very cute layout!!

Sarah said...

This is so adorable!!! I love everything!

Live Love and Scrap said...

WOW!!!! I cant even tell you how much I LOVE this layout...everything about it!!! Its so wonderful.....FANTASITCLY YUMMO!!!!

hugs,
Sarah

CutAndGlue said...

Love, love, love this layout. I enjoy looking at all of your layouts...I just LOVE your style!!!

BugBites said...

I recently found your blog and really like all your projects. They are all great works of art.
I recognized you for the Stylish Blogger award- Stop over and check it out. www.bugbites411.blogspot.com

Kristin said...

I love your layout! Have the cake across the two pages was just too cute an idea! Thanks so much for sharing.

Kathryn Wesling said...

This is STILL an awesome layout !! even in 2013... I "borrowed" it and LOVE the result...Thanks for sharing :)