Saturday, September 25, 2010

A Cricut-less Card & New Stamps!!!




For this week's Throwback Thursday Challenge, Emma chose to do a "Cricut-less" card.  The only guidelines this week were to leave your Cricut turned off and use patterned paper.  I didn't make cards before I had my Cricut, so this is definitely out of my comfort-zone.  I did manage to use my X-Acto knife without injury, so that was a plus!  It is super cloudy and rainy here today which is why the pictures are a bit dark.  Do any of you have any suggestions for a good work light?

This is my "pop-up" portion of the card.

Just in case you haven't seen the brand new Winter Wishes stamp set from Scrappy Moms Stamps - take a look!  Melanie and Tammy are currently taking pre-orders!


Materials Used:
  • Standard A2 Card Base
  • Mat - trimmed to 4 x 5 1/4
  • Image - trimmed patterned paper down to 3 3/4 x 5
  • "Pop-up" - trimmed another section of patterned paper to 3 3/4 x 5 and then used my X-Acto knife to trim away the sky portion.  Once that was completed, I scored it 1/2" from the bottom of the paper and a 1/4" from the bottom to create the "pop-up" feature.  To help hold it up, I used 3 pop dots stuck together.  (I know that there's probably a better/easier way, but the "pop-up" feature was a game-time decision.)
  • Sentiment from Scrappy Moms Winter Wishes Set
  • 7/8" Gingham Ribbon - Michael's
  • Stickles - Frosted Lace
  • Sakura Gelly Roll Pen - White

Hope you are having a wonderful weekend!

16 comments:

Maureen Reiss said...

Very pretty card!! Love all the layering

Kathy said...

Love your card! I use Ott Lights in my craft room. They can be a bit pricey for a light, but wait for a coupon or sale. They are worth it!

Jamie Garity-Yousaf said...

Love it! Your pictures look a lot better than mine. I have an Ott light too; but, I still don't know how to use it. I have heard that people use light boxes.

Luv Scrapping Together said...

This is so pretty! You just talked me into purchasing these stamps! TFS :)

Coachfans said...

Your card is wonderful. You can not tell you didn't make cards before the Cricut. (I didn't either!) The layering is great. I love the dimension.

My Creative Time said...

Lauren!! You are the BEST my friend!! WOW, you NEVER disappoint w/your wonderful creativity!! I just LOVE your card! You did an AWESOME job w/the challenge!
Gypsy Hugs,
Emma;)

Big Time Stamper Want to Be said...

Awesome card. Like the stamps.

Teresa

Glora said...

This is VERY pretty.

meredith said...

I love this card! Your awesome... Im loving ur work xxx

girlia said...

Awesome card

Live Love and Scrap said...

ADORABLE Lauren!!! I am scared to death to make a card with no Cricut =) I also use an OTT lamp...I have a PINK one =) It was only $40 with a coupon from Michaels....totally worth it...I even use it during the day....it just brightens everything up!!!

hugs,
Sarah

Scrappy Mel said...

My comment disappeared :(

So here goes again - LOL!

I would have never guessed you cut out the houses with and exact-o knife - I thought it was chipboard shapes!! Great job as usual! I LOVE how the sentiment works with this card. :)

Amanda Villarreal said...

I love the houses! I cant believe you xacto knifed all of them. Very patient mine would have come out sloppy lol. I pre-ordered my stamps so I am really excited to get them.

critterbugg365 said...

This is so perfect!! It looks like it was from the cricut...great job!

Carol L. said...

WOW.. the more I look at your stuff, the more I'm in love with your blog! super cute card...

Angelica said...

Lauren - this is so gorgeous, you should step out of your "comfort zone" more often!! It's obvious your talent shines through whatever you use! :) ~ Angelica