Thursday, September 30, 2010

Halloween "Art"



I mentioned a few days ago that I was working on a home decor project...well this is it.  I really like THIS Halloween wall hanging from Pottery Barn Kids, but I don't want to spend $59 dollars on it.  If I had realized how easy this project would be, I would have changed a few things.  Let me save you some time...
  1. If you decide to display your project behind glass, you can probably skip the Mod Podge. 
  2. If you decide to do an 8 x 10 project to frame, you can probably skip the canvas and just use a piece of cardstock instead.  (This will also save you from having to paint the background.)
  3. Because this project is soo ridiculously easy, you could use a bigger actual artist's canvas and emulate the Pottery Barn Kids project exactly - instead of being a chicken like me.  I thought I should start small, but there's really no need.
Ok...that should save you about an hour and a half!  :)

I am terrified of birds...that's all - just thought you might want to know.

Materials Used:
  • 8 x 10 canvas - Michael's (sold in a 3 pack)
  • Orange Acrylic Paint
  • "Happy Halloween" cut at 2.88 from Wild Card using real dial size
  • "Tree" cut at 8.03 from Paper Doll Dress-Up
  • "Fence" cut twice at 1.12 from Paper Doll Dress Up
  • 3 x 8 piece of patterned cardstock torn and inked 
  • Sakura Gelly Roll Pen - White
  • Mod Podge - Matte

12 comments:

Lezlye said...

This is great Lauren! Thanks for sharing! I love everything you come up with and we have similar design tastes.

Love Is In The Details said...

Wow, this is awesome, I can't believe you found pretty much the exact same tree as th PB one. I knew I should have picked up some canvases when they were on sale. I will be dropping by Mike's after work tomorrow and picking some up! How easy and these would make wonderful presents :) Thank you so much for the idea! Andrea

~Heidi said...

Really great project. Thanks for sharing!

Abby said...

You rock!!! You are just full of talent!!!!!! It is a beautiful project!!!!

Amanda Villarreal said...

Lauren this is awesome! I have had a framed home decor project on my agenda and planned to mod podge! You are so right, why wait for it to dry when it will be framed! Thanks for the tip :)

Scrappy Mel said...

Can I just tell you that I like your project WAY BETTER than the Pottery Barn wall hanging!! It turned out GREAT!

Pss...I don't know birds much either - LOL! ;)

Jennifer said...

Lauren,

You are sooooo talented!!! :) I love it!

Thank you so much for sharing,

Jennifer

Cristi said...

WOW, I have been wanting to make home decor but have been to chicken too. But you have inspired me!! LOVE YOUR PROJECT!!
HUGS

Live Love and Scrap said...

It turned out GREAT...way better then Pottery Barns!!! I have been challenging myself to make some home decor items...made my first wall hanging yesterday!!!!! Its so much fun =)

hugs,
Sarah

Love Is In The Details said...

Ok I am laughing so hard at myself right now, I am such a dork! When I first looked I thought the first pic was the original PB that inspired you and you made an exact replica! In my defense I was browsing on my Itouch :) Anyhow, now that I saw the original, I am even more amazed, yours is seriously so much better, so cool! Andrea

Card Creations by C said...

Lauren,

I love this! You did an amazing job.

I was wondering if you would like to be a guest designer for me on my next challenge. Challenge is going to be to make a card that has the color purple and 1 thing that you have never tried before.

I love your style so much and would love to have you take part.

It would be due to me by Sunday the 10th.

Please let me know asap if you are interested.

cardcreationsbyc@gmail.com
www.cardcreationsbyc.blogspot.com

Sonia Kertznus said...

WOW! I love your style... you have a new follower :)