Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Cutting Fabric with the Cricut


Change of plans...I was going to post a video for how I made Nicole's Minnie ears.  (Even if you don't need Minnie ears, I filmed how to make bows.)  I went to edit the video and I need to re-film how to tie the bows.  So...I decided to go ahead and post how to cut fabric with your Cricut.  

I also tried out my applique stitch on my sewing machine to make this shirt even more durable.  I have a feeling that this one may be in heavy rotation for awhile, so I'm hoping that by sewing the applique on it - it will last awhile longer.  It's not perfect, but for my first try and pretty happy with it.



Tips for Cutting Fabric 

Pre-wash any fabric that you want to later be able to launder.
Use a new (or at least VERY sticky) mat
Dedicate one blade for cutting fabric
Set your blade depth to 6 & multi-cut to 2
Choose images that aren't TOO intricate


Also on a personal note...can we have a moment of silence for my Imagine?  I killed it (by accident) today.  He wouldn't turn on today and according to PC the power supply inside the machine was probably fried.  Of course this would happen just as I was warming up to him.  They are sending me a new one, so hooray for PC!!!


12 comments:

Angela said...

Thank you for sharing all of your videos of your daughter's holloween costume. I really enjoyed them. Now to work on my daughter's. I bought her wings and I want to cut flowers on my cricut to put on a shirt. This will be my first time cutting fabric so thanks for the tips.

Angela
Simple Creations
http://simplecreationspapercrafts.blogspot.com/

Angela said...

Thank you for sharing all of your videos of your daughter's holloween costume. I really enjoyed them. Now to work on my daughter's. I bought her wings and I want to cut flowers on my cricut to put on a shirt. This will be my first time cutting fabric so thanks for the tips.

Angela
Simple Creations
http://simplecreationspapercrafts.blogspot.com/

Glora said...

This shirt is ADORABLE! My girls would love one of these. I've been wanting to cut fabric, but haven't ventured to do so yet. This shirt is so cute. I may have to try it.

Carrie K said...

It is funny you wuld post this today. I have been struggling all night trying to cut some fabric. I finally got frustrated and decided to play on the computer for awhile and this is one of the first blogs I checked!! I think my images are just too intricate. I am trying to do some cuts from Wildlife Lite Cartridge.

stiner said...

I am trying to decide which Cricut to buy. I would be using it mostly for scrapbooking but...Do they all cut fabric??

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for sharing your ideas. I can't wait to see how to make the ears and bows. Keep up the good work.
Amanda

Indira said...

Hi Laurens thanks for share with us the costume, for your little girl. It`s pretty. I haven´t cut fabric with my cricut, but you make it so easy, that I just want to try it.

GlendaLea said...

Loved the tutu, and now this! Just so adorable!!!!

PinkBlingCrafter said...

Thanks Lauren for sharing with a video. I will try this project this weekend: Super cute!!!!

DORCAS said...

THat stinks on the imagine. Good thing they are sending you an new one. I am going to try the tutu's this weekend. If they turn out cute I will post. Maybe :)

TFS!
~Dorcas

~Army Wife Molly~ said...

I LOVE the new mats!! Super cute ears! My computers were both freaking out on my this week so this is the first chance I've had to watch your videos! Super cute!!
~Molly

Wendy said...

Super Cute....you did a Great Job!