Thursday, December 16, 2010

A Few of My Favorite Things

A reader emailed asking what sorts of crafting supplies and Cricut cartridges would make my "must-have" list for someone just starting out, and I had such a good time coming up with a list for her that I thought I would share with everyone.  Of course this is just my opinion...it is by no means the world's best list.  Also...I linked some of the items, but that doesn't mean I am endorsing that store.  I just wanted you to have a visual of the items.  :)  Hope this is helpful!

 I think the most important thing, whether you are just starting out as a crafter or have been crafting for years, is to try and ONLY buy things that you absolutely LOVE!  If you try and stick to things that you love, then you won't waste a ton of money and precious space on things that just sit around and gather dust.

"The Basics"

Patterned Paper/Cardstock 
If you pick this out first, then you'll know what kinds of solid cardstock and embellishments you will need.  I think the DCWV Stacks are a great place to start - lots of options depending on your tastes/needs.  I would start out with one or two stacks and go from there.  

Solid Cardstock
I like the Recollections brand paper from Michael's.  It is a decent weight (works GREAT with the Cricut) and it's reasonably priced.  (They also put it on sale pretty regularly!)  Recollections also makes my favorite 12 x 12 kraft cardstock.  

Tools
Paper Trimmer - I have THIS one from Staples.  If you have the space, I think it is worth it.  You can spend as much or as little as you want on this.  Your local office supply store is a great place to start looking.  If you don't have the space/money, Provo Craft's paper trimmer works GREAT and it's portable!
Cricut Tool Kit - I resisted this at first, but I use it EVERY time I craft.  It is totally worth the money. (Even if I don't use my Cricut - it has a great bone folder/scoring tool, great ruler and I love the little scissors)
Scissors - try to pick a pair that feel comfortable in your hand
Self Healing Craft Mat - I have the 12 x 12 Martha Stewart Mat.  This is a very good thing if you are crafting at a dining room table.  ;)
Alcohol Free Baby Wipes - good for cleaning up almost EVERYTHING

Adhesive
ATG Gun - I have had mine for a few months and I don't know how I lived without it.  Not only does it save time - it also saves money in the long run.  I have the Scotch Pink 714 ATG.
If you don't want an ATG, make sure you have some double stick tape.  I think it's worth it to get acid-free, but it's totally up to you.
Zig 2-Way Glue Pen - great for all of those little layers 
Pop Dots/Dimensionals 

Embellishments
Again...only buy things you love.  If you love brads...buy brads.  These are just a few of my go-to items.

Ribbon - pick out a few spools to match your patterned paper
Glitter - it is well documented here on the blog that I LOVE the Martha Stewart Glitter Glue
Buttons 
Adhesive Gems - Look in the $1 bins!  

Pens
Sakura Micron 03 Pen - Black - any fine tip pen will do.  I try to only use acid free pens on my scrapbook pages.

"Beyond the Basics"

Sentiment Stamps
If you plan on making cards - these are very handy to have around.  Try to stay away from the cheap-y clear stamps.  In the end, they will just frustrate you because they don't always stamp all that great.  If you are just starting your collection, I would recommend the Simple Sentiments and/or the Everyday Greetings sets from Scrappy Moms.   (I know I may be biased, but I would love them even if I wasn't on their Design Team.)

Craft Tweezers
I don't how I managed without the Cutter Bee Tweezer Bees.  They make handling all those teeny layers much easier!
Distress Ink
Not everyone's cup of tea, but I think it adds a lot to your die cuts.  I use the Tim Holtz Distress Ink and make up sponges to apply (super cheap).

Face Stamps 
I recently started using the Peachy Keen Stamps and I think they add a lot of personality to your die cuts.  They also breathe a little life into some of your older cartridges.

Border Punches
Honestly...I only have three border punches.  I can't tell you how many times I have one in my basket and then put it back.  I love the look of them, but for some reason I don't want to spend $$ on them.

Score Board
I really like the Martha Stewart Score Board 



Tomorrow I will post my favorite Cricut cartridges...that was a lot harder to come up with, but I narrowed it down to 5-7.  :)

 Sorry for the lack of crafty posts.  My little one is still feeling pretty crummy after having her tonsils removed last week.  Hopefully she will start to feel better soon for her sake (and ours.)






9 comments:

Luv Scrapping Together said...

Great list of favorites! I have many that you mentioned. I have to agree with the concept to only buy what you love. I can't tell you how many things I have in my craft space that is sitting there just because I thought I could use it. Hope your little one is feeling better soon!

Kerry--Momma K said...

I agree with everything you said. A great list of the starter basics, before the obsession begins and you start hoarding paper (and by you, I mean me). lol
Oh boy don't get me started on cartridges. I will be back to see your list.
Kerry

mommakcrafts.blogspot.com

Glora said...

Great tips. I think they were perfect for anyone.

buglvr2010 said...

Great list! I hope your baby starts feeling better soon...I know that is rough on them...sending her feel better vibes.

EricaQ said...

This is great. I have many of the items and still want MORE of the items you listed so makes it great to have it in one place. Thanks! Hopefully she feels better soon!

Handmade By Mary said...

I needed this list 2 years ago when I first started scrapbooking. This is a great list for anyone who is starting out papercrafting. Good job Lauren!
~Mary
http://handmadebymary.blogspot.com/

creativeprincess said...

This is a great list! It is interesting to see how much it mirrors my own scrapbooking essentials.
Tara

4kids4 said...

Your list and your suggestions are terrific! I do the same with border punches...funny, huh?? Hope your daughter is feeling better!

~Sharon C.

Anonymous said...

Have you tried we r memory keepers sew easy?