Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Party Plans - Part 3


Everyone survived the birthday party and the birthday girl had lots of fun!  Of course, I didn't take as many pictures as I had planned, but I think I got enough for you to get the basic idea.  Our dining room and living room are so hard to photograph.  There's just not enough light in either and to make matters worse - it was cloudy on Sunday afternoon.  My biggest tip for having a fun party is to do as much ahead of time as possible.  I try to have most of the decorating done a few days before the party and as much of the food prepared as I can.  Since you are all so sweet - I can tell you that I had a moment last week where I thought I had gone completely overboard, but when my daughter saw the dining room all decorated, she did a happy dance and told me how beautiful everything was.  That makes it all totally worth it!  Besides - I enjoy doing it or I wouldn't bother.  :)


Our party was at 3:30 in the afternoon, so I tried to keep the food pretty simple.  We had fruit, veggies and cheese & crackers.  Since the party was between lunch and dinner, I just wanted a few non-sugary things for people to eat.  (If any of you are looking for a good dip recipe, THIS one is soo soo good.)  To decorate the table I used a regular white tablecloth and made some runners out of some fabric by just ironing in "hems."  The fabric was $20, but I needed 3 yards of each for my dining room table.  I know that I will use the fabric at some point for another party or craft project, so I didn't worry about spending a little more than I planned on the fabric.

My very "down-sized" sweets buffet: Chocolate Covered Strawberries, Cupcakes & Marshmallow Lollipops

The marshmallow lollipops were a HUGE hit and were so so simple to make!  You can find instructions HERE.  (I used melted chocolate instead of candy melts, but I'm sure either would work just as well.  It's just that chocolate is a whole lot tastier!)


Minnie Mouse Cupcake How-to:  
I baked the cupcakes two days before the party and made the ears the day before.  You could even frost them the day before and then all you have to do the day of is decorate with the ears and bows.
  • To make the "ears" I traced 1 1/2" circles onto a piece of parchment paper and then turned it over.  (I don't think pencil lead and chocolate are a great combo.)  
  • Melt one bag of dark chocolate chips in a zip-loc bag in the microwave.  
  • Snip a small hole in one of the bottom corners of the zip-loc bag and start piping your circles.  
  • DO NOT STRESS OUT if they are not all perfect.  As long as they are mostly round - they will look great!  
  • I used Pull-and-Peel Twizzlers for the bows.  (Quick note: I tried to make the bows the day ahead and stored them in a zip-loc bag overnight...it didn't work.  The bows either got stuck together or broke apart, so you need to make them the day of the party.)  
  • If you don't want to pipe chocolate circles, any small round chocolate cookie would probably work just as well.


I kept the mantel pretty simple...balloons, banner and some red polka dot ribbon tied around my candles.
If you missed parts one and two of the party plan posts, you can find Part 1 HERE Part 2 HERE!

Thank you so much for all of the sweet comments and emails about the first two party posts!  I hope that I've given you some good ideas!

27 comments:

Craftyhomemade said...

Everything was super cute. Your daughter should was very happy. I really enjoy to read and watch your post about the birthday. You inspire me to make to my daughter a birthday about Mickey.

Indira

Crafting Katie said...

Wow, your house looked fabulous with all of the decorations! I wish I had been into crafting back when my son was little and having birthday parties. Your daughter must have loved it!

Craft Junkie Too said...

WOW Lauren - what a fantastic party! Everything looks beautiful and super yummy. What a treat to see this! Thank you for sharing....Happy Birthday to the birthday girl! :)))

♥Tracy

Craft Junkie Too said...

WOW Lauren - what a fantastic party! Everything looks beautiful and super yummy. What a treat to see this! Thank you for sharing....Happy Birthday to the birthday girl! :)))

♥Tracy

liz at liz's paper loft said...

looks like a magazine! just beautiful and fun too!
liz :o)

Glora said...

AWESOME!!!! I am SO impressed! It turned out beautiful!

Julie said...

Everything looks Fasntastic! You should be very proud of all of your handy work!

Just Julie

Laura said...

What a lucky little girl! I'm sure the kids had so much fun! I cannot wait to see what theme of party she chooses next year! You are just so creative and talented! Thank you so much for sharing such a special day with all of us!

Laura

Jen said...

This is the best!!! I love it all. Great job.
hugs,jen
jennyscards.blogspot.com

flscraplady said...

What a fabulous party! All your ideas were Wow! Your daughter's party will be a very hard act to follow. How lucky she is!!! Your big fan, Diane

McVic said...

Every thing looks super cute! I love the poms I make them for our parties too! Great idea for the cup cakes~~ Cute~Im going to try that.
kacee

Christine said...

Great pictures! It all came together perfect. Your little girl is adorable too! Thanks for all the pictures and the tips.

The Scrapbook Speedway said...

great cupcakes! love all the deco and awesome spread! you did a FABULOUS job!!!

joeygirl86 said...

All I have to say is...marshmellow lolipops!!??!! yummo! :) lol.. looks like a great party! I should have you decorate my next one! hehe

Gina (Happymom2010) said...

WOW... well done Lauren!!!
Your daughter will have great memories from this b-day Party.
You really did an awesome job!!!

Scrappy Mel said...

Everything looks so WONDERFUL! I am going to have to try the marshmallow lollipops - my kids LOVE marshmallows. In fact, my oldest just bought a bag with her allowance - LOL!

Thank you for sharing all your get ideas and letting us be a part of Nicole's b-day! She is sooooo sweet, btw! :)

Live Love and Scrap said...

Oh my stinkin goodness...what a party!!! Ummm....so.....my birthday is in February and I love marshmellows and Minnie Mouse too....just sayin... LOL!!! I hope your daughter had the bestest birthday ever!!!

hugs,
Sarah

Erica said...

Well that is just crazy impressive.

Amy said...

Scream!! Cuteness everywhere Lauren!! Love it!

Kelly L. said...

OH My. Everything looks so perfect and cute. You always has the greatest idea. Therefore, I've awarded you with the Stylish Blogger award!! All you have to do is post a link back to my blog with 8 things we should know about you and 8 bloggers you would like to give this award to as well!! Don't forget to let them all know on their blogs too!

Balloons said...

This post is Well Organized and Informative for the good party them and decorations solutions. Best luck of the future.

Jennifer said...

What a great party, Lauren!!! :) Nicole must have been in heaven!

Thanks for sharing!

Crafty hugs,

Jennifer
partridgelu at yahoo dot com

Anonymous said...

All I can say is "WOW"! You do amazing work. When do you find the time?! LOL, I start planning a yr in advance and our parties never look that good! My dd is fixing to have her Minnie Mouse party aswell, only it will be pink and black. =) Her favorite treat is marshmellows so I'm gonna borrow your idea and refer everyone to your site! You did an awesome job, I know your dd loved it! Thanks for sharing.

Janie said...

Lauren her party turned out so super cute ! How lucky to have such a crafty mom ! TFS !
HUGS,JANIE

Mari AKA Momo said...

Everything was amazing!!! she is such a lucky little girl to have you!!! I am sorry I have not been around lately!!! I come by everyday just dont have time to leave a comment!!! Will you forgive me! Love you and all you do! XOXO momo

Angel said...

Everything is super cute! what is birthday bash? you mention it a few times in both videos. is it a site or a product that can be bought at Michael's or Joanns?

Lauren B. said...

Angel - Birthday Bash is a Cricut Cartridge that works with any of the Cricut cutting machines or even the Cricut Imagine. You can find the Birthday Bash cartridge at Michael's, Joann's and at www.cricut.com.

Hope that helps!
Lauren