Friday, June 17, 2011

Summer Art - Week 1

***If you are looking for my Scrappy Moms June Release post, please click HERE!  Thanks!***

In case you missed yesterday's post, here's a quick re-cap: I will be sharing a week's worth of kid-friendly craft projects every Friday this summer.  It's HOT here and unless we are swimming, then we stay inside in the afternoon and craft!
I've seen this project many many times, but I hadn't every gotten around to trying it.  I am so glad that I did...not only did it get rid of all of our broken crayons - they turned out super cute.  The hardest thing was taking the papers off all the crayons.  I used a flower cake-let pan that I've had for awhile and I was a little nervous that they wouldn't come out, but as soon as they cooled, they came right out.  We also used a mini muffin pan, when we ran out of flowers...worked just as well.

Egg Carton Caterpillars
Egg Carton
Pipe Cleaners
Paints/Markers/Crayons - whatever
Googl-y Eyes or Buttons
This was a special request from Nicole.  We watched a Blue's Clues episode about arts & crafts and Steve showed off his very own egg carton caterpillar.  Obviously this was not a very big request, and easily accomplished without a special trip to the craft store.  I punched holes on both sides of the egg carton, so Nicole could thread the pipe cleaners through for its legs.  They would have been cuter with googly eyes, but we didn't have any, so I improvised with buttons.  I've seen a few similar projects online made to look like the caterpillar from Eric Carle's Very Hungry Caterpillar - very cute!

Coffee Filter Butterflies
Coffee Filters
Water Colors
Pipe Cleaners or Clothespins
I was REALLY excited about this project, but Nicole wasn't that into it.  I'm not sure if it was the project itself or just an off afternoon.  I think we may try it again later in the summer.  I was envisioning lots of fluttering butterflies, but we barely got two.  Not to brag or anything, but I made the rainbow butterfly...I had a good time, even if Nicole didn't.  ;)

Button Frame
$1 Frame - Joann's
Buttons
Glue Dots - a toddler's best friend
Shhh....this is Nicole's Father's Day present for her daddy.  She had a good time playing around with my button stash, and it was very easy.  We used Glue Dots, which are great to use with a toddler.  She can do it herself and there's no mess.  

There were also LOTS of paintings.  I hope this gives you some ideas.  Make sure to share any fun ideas that you have too!

Next week I am going to try to have a theme for our projects...I'll let you know how that goes.  ;)

5 comments:

MyCuriousCrafts said...

Hi Lauren,
You are so very talented. Awesomeness! ~Shen

Jenni said...

Thanks for all of the great summer ideas. I just started a blog this week and you give me so much inspiration! I love EVERYTHING that you post! Great job!

Jenni
http://mylollipopgarden.blogspot.com/

Tara said...

I love the button frame! I might actually make one of those even though I don't have a kid to craft with lol :)
Tara

HappyPlaceJen said...

Adorable kid projects! Have fun crafting with Nicole! :) ~Jen http://happyplaceforjen.blogspot.com/

Scrapper said...

Wow these kid craft ideas are so great! You have a big heart, thank you, really wonderful stuff!