Friday, June 24, 2011

Summer Art - Week 2

Happy Friday!!!  This week's summer crafts were all inspired by Fancy Nancy Sees Stars.  The Fancy Nancy books are pretty popular in our house and we've been reading this one a lot lately at bedtime.  In the story, Nancy learns all about stars, so I decided to do a week's worth of star/nighttime inspired crafts.

Star Cookies
Nicole's favorite part of the story is when Nancy and her friend Robert bake star shaped cookies with sparkly sugar.  Of course, that was her first request.  Everyone has a favorite sugar cookie recipe, but this one is especially great if you are in a hurry or have impatient little ones because you don't have to refrigerate the dough.  This is the sugar cookie recipe my mom used when I was little and I still love it.

Roll Out Cookies
1 c. butter, softened
1 c. sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp. vanilla
zest of one lemon (optional)
2 3/4 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 400.  Combine flour, baking powder and salt, and set aside.  In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar.  Beat in eggs, vanilla and lemon zest.  Add your dry ingredients one cup at a time, mixing after each addition.  Roll out and cut out desired shapes.  Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes, depending on your oven and how thick you roll out the dough.

Homemade Glitter Play Dough

I wanted to make blue play dough with glitter to make it look like the night sky, but Nicole had other ideas.  You can find the recipe HERE.  Here's a quick tip about coloring the dough - if you want to take the EASY way out like me and only make ONE color, add the food coloring to the water.  This helps avoid getting too messy.  Adding the glitter was Nicole's favorite part...not surprising.  I had her pour the glitter over the dough and then I kneaded it in.  If your kids are older, they can probably do this part themselves.  Also...we used fine and course glitter - I would use CHEAP fine glitter in the future.  It's a lot more sparkly.

Stars in a Jar
I came across this idea on Pinterest and have been very excited to try this out.  The picture there is gorgeous, but we had a little trouble perfecting our splatters...there must be a technique for splatter painting.  Even though our splatters aren't quite as perfect as the original project, they still look really neat at night.  I can't wait to use this glow in the dark paint for something else.

Toilet Paper Roll Owls
This was another project that I came across on Pinterest and it has also got the BEST response from Nicole.  She had a blast making them and played with them for an hour or so after.  We used some patterned paper to cover up the toilet paper rolls, but you could also paint them.  Nicole tends to be a little impatient waiting for things to dry, so I decided paper would be fastest.

Letter Play
I also decided to choose two letters to practice this week to go along with our activities.  They were all really simple to put together and she seemed to have a good time with all of them.  My favorite was the watercolor "s."  I had Nicole paint lots of different colors using her watercolors and then we covered her painting up with the negative of the letter s.  I'm pretty sure Nicole's favorite part was using the glue stick.

Last week's Summer Art post wasn't very popular, and while I know not everyone has time to comment on every single post...I thought I would take a quick poll to see whether or not there is any interest in the kid's themed projects.






12 comments:

Jenni said...

Wow Lauren, amazing!!! I am a kindergarten teacher so I love that you are using a theme- like stars- for the week! You are such a great Mommy! Thanks for the inspiration.
Jenni
http://mylollipopgarden.blogspot.com/

Rebya Falk said...

Such a pretty girl with such a creative mommy!

Glora said...

I couldn't see the poll but I seriously LOVE this! I was on vacation the past couple of weeks and probably missed your other posts like this. Do what works best for you, but I personally LOVE all these wonderful ideas and recipes. Thanks for sharing! Hugs- Glora

Rebecca said...

I think today's post is jammed full of GREAT ideas. I like that you are trying this stuff out on your daughter and posting the results. Sure, not all kids are the same but at least we can see if one kid liked/didn't like it. My daughter is just turning 2 next month so I don't know if she's ready for these projects yet but I will certainly catalog them away for when she IS ready for them. Thanks for taking the time to post all the details. I know crafting/photographing/blogging is like a full time job. Your efforts are appreciated!

Louvenia said...

Thanks for sharing. with two little ones it is fun to find easy projects that they will enjoy.

HappyPlaceJen said...

You have done some awesome star-themed projects with your daughter! Keep up the great Mom work and please continue to share! My girls, 12 and 11 even got a kick out of the crafts you did! :) ~Jen http://happyplaceforjen.blogspot.com/

Scrappy Mel said...

Such great projects/ideas - I need to get some of that glow in the dark paint! :)

Kris Dietz said...

What great projects! I love all the ideas you have shared with us. Thank you for always sharing with us.

Kris
dietzrobles at yahoo dot com

Samantha J Designs (Wife2TJ) said...

What CUTE little owls :-)

Amanda Villarreal said...

These are great! My daughter is just being introduced to the crafting world (YAY!) so a lot of these we can't do yet. However I still like looking at them for ideas and to use with the older kids in my life. Pretty cool!

Tara said...

I love Fancy Nancy...so glad she was your inspiration this week :)
Tara

momof5 said...

you have some great ideas! I plan on using some of them with my kids! Thank you so much for the inspiration!