Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Scrappy Moms Terrific Tuesday Challenge!


Photobucket
Hooray!  It's time for another Scrappy Moms Terrific Tuesday Challenge!  This is a good one, so I hope you can play along.  This week the challenge is to create a project using either Nifty Fifties or Camping Critters.  Both cartridges are super cute, but I don't have either one...and you don't have to have either one to play along either.  Just choose a similarly themed cut and link up your project on the Scrappy Moms Stamps blog - HERE!
I always equate Barbie with the 50's, and I could have sworn that there was a similar silhouette on the Nifty Fifties cartridge, but when I went back to see what page in the booklet she was on, I realized...I must have imagined it.  There is a silhouette of a dancing girl in a poodle skirt, so I am going to say that my "Barbie-esque" silhouette is similar to her and call it a day...alright?  Alright!  
I do think this silhouette would be ADORABLE if you were wanting to throw a vintage Barbie party.  As an aside...have you shopped for Barbie's lately?  Nicole asked Santa for a "princess Barbie," and he had a VERY hard time finding one.  When did Barbie become so trampy?  Even Barbie's "career" outfits were questionable.  I'm not going to tell you what the firefighter outfit reminded me of...I'll just let you use your imagination.  So anywho...if Nicole ever asks for a Barbie themed birthday party - she's getting a vintage Barbie party, and now I'll have a super cute image to use.

Materials Used:
  • Card Base - 2 scalloped circles welded together using the Silhouette Design Software
  • Mat - Circle from the Silhouette Design Software
  • Girl Silhouette - Silhouette Online Store
  • Sentiment - Scrappy Moms Sweet Somethings set
  • Martha Stewart Glitter - Onyx (I used my Zig-Pen to apply a fine layer of glue to the die cut, and then glittered it.)
  • Baker's Twine - Scrappy Moms Stamps
  • Cuttlebug A2 Paisley Embossing Folder

Quick Note - I updated my indexed "Cards" and "Scrapbooking" pages.  Previously, they were arranged by Cricut cartridge, but I switched things around and arranged them by category.  For example, this card would have previously been in the "Silhouette" card category, but now it will go in the "Encouragement" card category.  Hope that is helpful!  If you haven't ever browsed the pages before, take a look.  I have been obsessively indexing EVERY project that I've ever posted.  Yes, I am a little bit of a Type A personality...why do you ask?

19 comments:

callyannc said...

Super cute!

liz at liz's paper loft said...

ADORABLE!!!

Amanda said...

So cute! I agree with you about the Barbies. We have done more of the Disney Princess type "barbies" due to that fact. TFS!

Glora said...

Absolutely perfect! I don't have either of those cartridges either but this definitely pulls off the theme. As far as Barbie's go we only have Disney Princess Barbies and she gets to use my old Barbie clothes to dress them up in different outfits. Anyway, have a good one. Hugs- Glora

scrappy critters said...

I LOVE It.. sooo cute. Silhouettes are so in now.

♥Tam

Lezlye said...

Gorgeous Lauren!

Melissa said...

Your card is super cute.

Love how you've indexed your layouts and cards. I use you as great inspiration or to 'steal' your ideas for layouts.

Laura said...

LOL! Lauren, you are so right about Barbie's questionable wardrobe as of late. I get that they wanted to make Barbie more modern, but if this is more modern I pray my daughter stays old fashioned! Super cute card from the days when Barbie was elegant. :)

Joann said...

This is so pretty!! I love it! TFS!

Amy said...

LOVE that pink and black twine!!

Anonymous said...

Referring to the silhouette of Barbie...there is one similar to the one you used on the cricut cartridge forever young. That might have been where you saw it!

-Whitney

Sherrie K. said...

Great job Lauren:)
Sherrie K
http://sherriescraps.blogspot.com

bonnie said...

So super cute...love the colors and glitter! :) hugs x

Jenn said...

Adorable card! Love the glittery look of the shilhouette! I must admit that though I did like how you categorized the card & scrapbook pages before, I'm lovin' how it is now!
hugs, Jenn

Live Love and Scrap said...

Its beautiful Lauren!!! I used the same colors on my card LOL!!!

hugs,
Sarah

HappyPlaceJen said...

This is an adorable silhouette card, Lauren! I agree about Barbie. I think they're trying to have her compete with the Bratz dolls or similar dolls -you know, the ones with the ginormous heads and the trampy clothes? Yep, I never let my daughters get those dolls- Ick!
On a happier note, I can't wait to check out your new category system! :) ~Jen ttp://happyplaceforjen.blogspot.com

Colleen Curtis said...

This is great! I just re-posted this to the FB wall! @ http://www.facebook.com/Wisharoopark

Anonymous said...

So what cartridge did you get this silhoutte off of? I have been looking everywhere for one to make vintage barbie invitations.

Lauren Brewer said...

I actually didn't use a Cricut cartridge. I used my Silhouette SD to cut the image. There is an almost IDENTICAL "Barbie" silhouette on the Forever Young Cricut Cartridge. There are also a number of "girly" images on that cartridge that would be perfect for a vintage Barbie party. Here's a link to the cartridge on Cricut's website. You can probably find it cheaper somewhere else, though. http://main.cricut.com/shopping/detail-Cartridges-Cricut-Forever-Young-Cartridge-183-884.aspx