Sunday, July 24, 2011

Summer Art - Wk 6

Week Six was lots of fun!  We made all sorts of puppet themed projects, so there was a lot of make believe happening at our house.  Overall - it was a success, but after last week's major fail...it could really only get better.  
Doorway Puppet Theatre
I saw a very cute doorway puppet theatre on Pinterest and I was inspired to make one with some left over fabric that I had in my craft room.  The best part about this project is that I had everything except the tension rod, so the total cost for this project was $4.  If you can measure your doorway and sew a straight line, you can make this.  You could probably also make a new sew version, but I wanted to make sure it could stand up to a little (or a lot) of play.  This took me about 3 hours to finish...with some "help" from Nicole.  It probably would have gone a bit faster without soo much help, but it is fun to have  someone think you are such a genius.  (I'm really soaking that up while it lasts.)

Paper Bag Puppets
These were really fun and simple to put together.  I found this group of 4 farm animals in the Silhouette Online store and then sized them to fit on the paper bags.  I cut out all of the pieces using my Silhouette and then Nicole put them together.  She even used my Cuttlebug to emboss some of the pieces.  She LOVES using it and then telling me how strong she is.


Clothespins Dolls
I have been looking forward to these all summer.  My Jama (my grandma) and I made these one summer when I stayed with her, and we had so much fun.  She bought me a kit that had all sorts of fun supplies and clothing patterns, but we went through the supplies so quickly that we had to go back to the craft store for more!  You can make the doll clothes out of soo many different things.  When I made them as a child, we used tissue paper - which works great!  I made some a few years ago for our Christmas tree using THESE patterns from Martha Stewart.  They turned out so cute and I would show them to you, but they are packed away with my ornaments.

Nicole was little to young to do this by herself, but she had lots of fun going through my tulle and ribbon scraps to pick out their dresses. Of course she requested "princess" dolls.  Her requests started getting more and more complicated, so I distracted her with snack time.

She also requested Smurf dolls.  We went to see the brand new Pooh Bear movie last weekend, and she saw a preview for the new Smurf movie...she's now obsessed.  :)

Letter Activity

I've been trying to pick out a few letters each week to practice with Nicole and this week we made it into a game.  I put all the ice cream cones and popsicles stickers into a pile and Nicole then attached them to the correct letter.  I've seen a few other letter games that I think we might try, so I'll let you know if any of them are hits.  

10 comments:

HappyPlaceJen said...

Yay! So glad puppet week was a success! YOur puppets, both bag and clothespin, were adorable! And I just love the doorway theater! Have a good week, Lauren! Hopefully the next craft theme with Nicole is just as successful.:) ~Jen

http://happyplaceforjen.blogspot.com/

joeygirl86 said...

OMG are those Smurfs?? lol...love all these projects! I think I will have to bookmark these for when Natalie gets older. tfs! :)

Glora said...

Very cute. That puppet stage is fabulous. I love the sack puppets but those clothes pin ones are OUT of this world. You are amazing! Hugs- Glora

Jens Craft Corner said...

The dolls and puppets are just adorable! Your daughter is so lucky to have such a talented and creative mom. I love the doorway puppet theater. What a great idea. I may have to give that a try someday. That would make a great snowy day winter activity. Thanks for the wonderful ideas!

Christine said...

It is adorable. I love it. I would love to follow you on Pinterest if you were comfortable sharing. I am currently obsessed with it. I actually have your minnie mouse party pinned.

Christine said...

I just tried to pin this post and I wasn't able to. I am so sad.

janner said...

I'm glad you liked all the comments I sent. You inspire me so much. I love all your layouts.

Scrappy Moms Stamps said...

So cute! I love the puppet theater - great job! I used to watch the smurfs EVERY Saturday morning!! Unfortunately, they came on as 6:00 am where I was - no sleeping in for me. LOL

Sounds like you and Nicole had tons of fun this summer! :)

- Mel

Joann said...

How adorable! The puppet theater is so nice, and what can I say about the paper bag puppets...LOVE them!!

Live Love and Scrap said...

SOOOO stinkin cute!!! I wanna come play at your house =)

hugs,
Sarah