Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Fall Leaf Wreath

Happy Tuesday!  Last fall I eagerly jumped on the yarn/felt flower wreath bandwagon.  This year I'm still on the yarn/felt bandwagon, but this one was even EASIER to make.  I found a fall leaf die to use with my Cuttlebug that made this wreath super easy to make.  I made this wreath as a present for Brandon's grandmother, and as happy I was to give it away...I was a little sad too.  In fact, I like it so much that my mom and I are going to make a couple more for ourselves to keep.  I also apologize for the lack of step by step pictures.  I had EVERY intention of taking pictures along the way, but once I sat down to actually start assembling the wreath - I became VERY unsure of myself.  That's the problem with a lot of my non-papercrafting projects...most of the time, I'm just winging it and I have NO idea how they will turn out.
I started out by wrapping the wreath (it's an 18" straw wreath...LEAVE THE PLASTIC ON!!) in yarn.  I have come to the conclusion that if you find a yarn that is thicker, maybe with some texture and varying color - you will like the end result so much more.  The thicker yarn and varying color adds beautiful texture before YOU even start embellishing the wreath.  I also thing that it helps hide the wreath's little imperfections.  Once you have your wreath wrapped, DISASSEMBLE your floral picks.  For this wreath, I used 5 floral picks from Michaels.  (When I bought them, they were 40% off, but I noticed that they are now 50% off.  If you want to make this wreath, head to your local Michael's before they run out.)  I know that the picks are beautiful as is, but they are much easier to work with AFTER you take them apart.  I arrange and glue all of the picks to wreath BEFORE I add any thing else...flowers or leaves.  This gives you a base to work with...and yes, it's intimidating to start gluing things on your wreath...but you have to do it.    
Once I recovered from my initial, feelings of self doubt...I started arranging and gluing the felt leaves to the wreath.  I used the cheap stuff again, and I'm not sorry in the least.  The felt sheets from Michael's are 29 cents a piece and you can see from the pictures that they cut beautifully.  I used 10 sheets total: 5 colors/2 sheets each.  Depending on your leaf die, you should be able to get anywhere from 8-10 leaves per sheet of felt.

My mom is coming over tomorrow and we're going to make some more wreaths...IF I can get it together, I'll try and take a few step by step pictures, so at least you'll get an idea of what the wreath looks like as it's coming together.
Materials:

7 comments:

Tashina said...

This is stunning! Your wreath looks so delicate and intricate. Fabulous work as always, Lauren! I love your blog!

snappy scrappy said...

Oh so pretty!! Lee-Ann :)

Amanda said...

Wow,your wreath is absolutely gorgeous!!!

Scrappy hugs,
Amanda :0)

Creative M said...

WOW!!!Just GORGEOUS!!!TFS
Migdalia

Stephanie said...

This is one of the prettiest wreaths I've seen. I love the idea of wrapping with yarn. Really gorgeous.

~ Jo ~ said...

This wreath is just beautiful! I cannot express that enough. I love this wreath and its definitely something I would pay for.

Hugs,
Jo
www.jwscrapshack.blogspot.com

Peggy said...

Just stopping by to let you know I featured this project on this round-up
http://diycraftyprojects.com/2012/11/50-yes-fifty-fall-wreath-ideas-and-inspiration.html :)

Feel free to grab a featured button from my side bar.