Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Fall Wreath - Step by Step

Finally!  This is the 3rd fall themed wreath that I've made in the last few weeks.  I managed to take a few step by step pictures!  I apologize in advance for their quality...some of them are fine, and some of them are not so great.  I tried...evidently I really need to work on my photography skills.
Steps 1 & 2: Wrap your wreath and take apart your fall picks.
The more yarn wreaths that I make - the faster that I get at wrapping the wreath.  This one took me 45 minutes...not bad at all!  
Step 3: Create small bundles of your floral picks.
I know...I just told you to take all of your picks apart, but it's so much easier to work with the smaller bundles than the BIG picks.  I create small little bundles by grouping the separate pieces together and then wrapping the wire around itself.  Once you get a few bundles made, you can start placing them on your wreath to get an idea of what the end result will look like.  Try to save a few pieces - just in case you need to add a few more once you start adding your leaves.
Step 4: Glue your picks to the wreath to create your base.
This part is scary...no way around it.  Once you hot glue those picks onto your wreath, they are not coming off.  Just remember that you are creating a base...you can always add more.  These are the first two that I glued down.  I continued to add a few more pieces to fill in the space.  
Here's what the wreath looked like once I got the majority of my picks glue down to the wreath.
Step 5: Prepare your felt
This is pretty self explanatory, but for some reason until I made this wreath...I was making a lot more work for myself.  For this one, I cut down ALL of my felt at once.  I used my die as a template and cut the felt down to fit.  Each sheet of 8.5 x 11 felt yielded TWO full size pieces and two more smaller pieces that I could use to cut out 2 additional leaves.  In total, each sheet of felt yielded 10 leaves.
Step 6: Die cut all of your leaves
This took me about 15 minutes to finish and I just piled them.  
Step 7: Add your leaves and try not to second guess yourself.
This picture shows the top (which later would become the bottom) about half way done.  There's not really a right or wrong way to do this...just keep adding leaves until you are happy with how it looks. You may find that it looks like it's missing something...you can always add a little pick here or there to help fill it out.  You DO NOT need that much glue on your leaves...just a dab.  It's also helpful to have a pencil or something similar handy to help avoid burning yourself.  I also found that if I didn't like how it looked...just keep adding stuff.  More is more.  ;)

I hope that helps and that you'll give this a try.  I am already brainstorming what kind of wreath I want to make for Christmas.  They're so much fun to make!  

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Thanks for all the details. Your wreath is lovely. :)

srpprcrftr said...

Such a gorgeous wreath. Your tut was very helpful. You must have a lot of room to store all your individual wreaths so you don't have to take them apart. You must have a big collection of wreaths.
I usually need to re-use my wreaths from season to season so don't tend to glue anything in place.
I wrap the wreath with burlap or something else and stick things into the places where the burlap (i.e.) has overlapped. For me at least storing the additions is easier than having to store the complete wreath.
Love all your projects and enjoy seeing what you'll do next.

liz at liz's paper loft said...

beautiful Lauren, just beautiful!!!

Pat N. said...

Wow, your wreath is beautiful. Know that took a lot of work, but the outcome is gorgeous!