Monday, August 10, 2015

Brown Paper Packages Tied up with String


Well, that was a very long break.  You may notice that I blew up my old blog design and simplified things a bit.  Even though I haven't posted, I didn't completely give up crafting.  I took an online Copic class, I made a ton of cards, I foolishly decided to sew the kids' panda Halloween costumes last year, I even made the wreath from Martha Stewart's Christmas magazine.  My daughter finished first grade and somehow turned 7.  My son turned two and keeps me on my toes.  I don't want to say for sure that I'm back and to expect lots of posts, but how about I am going to make a concerted effort.  I've missed this little blog.  Onto projects...real live projects.

Nicole had a birthday party over the weekend and I realized that I didn't have any gift bags on hand that would work.  I could have cut stuck a gift card in a birthday card, but I wanted something a little bit more special.

I bought little brown paper bags from Michael's years ago, and I still have a few in my stash.  I liked the way the first one turned out so much that I decided to make a couple to put aside for a rainy day.  These came together really quickly and can be as simple or as elaborate as you make them.


I went a little crazy with flowers on this bag, so it took a little longer than the others.  I will just save this one for someone extra special.  After I finished coloring and touching up a few of the lines that didn't stamp as clearly as I wanted, I added a few touches of glitter with some glitter pens.  I used a regular hole punch to thread the ribbon through the top.  I used to have a punch that was made specifically for this purpose, but it is either lost or it broke and I forgot about it.  I hate when that happens.


Starbucks gift cards seem to always be a big hit, so I know this one will come in handy.  To make this one a bit more special I used a border punch and topped it off with some baker's twine.  I again used Copics to add some color to the cups, but if you were really short on time - leaving them plain would be just as cute.  Since this paper is so thin, you can't really blend colors, so even if you don't have Copics - any marker will do.


This is gift bag is almost identical to the one I made for my daughter to take to the party.  I used one of my favorite stamp sets, Sugar Rush from Paper Smooches.  I added some extra sparkle with clear glitter, and a matching teeny tiny card to finish it off.  


I have really enjoyed trying out new Copic techniques, and some of my images haven't quite made it onto cards yet, so I decided that this sweet little hedgehog would look cute on a gift bag too.  I just popped it up onto a mat of patterned paper and attached to the bag - done!




Supplies:





post signature


6 comments:

~amy~ said...

Lauren!
What SWEET projects!!!!!!!!!

Lisa Kay said...

Oh My I missed you! Hope you are doing well...

Jeannette Friesen said...

Love the sacks! It's good to see a blog post from you.

Erica said...

Our gift bags for Anna's party were very similar except they were plain plastic bags. Filled with candy. (Hi! Your blog is back!)

Melissa said...

Super cute!

Katie A. said...

Hi Lauren, I religiously read your blog when you were active, and I'm happy to see you're back occasionally! <3,

Katie A.