Thursday, August 13, 2015

Shake it Off


Sorry if the title of this post has caused Shake it Off to get stuck in your head.  I know it's probably old by this time, but my seven year old discovered Taylor Swift this year.  (It could be worse regardless of what my husband thinks.)  I felt a little rusty posting yesterday and questioned whether or not my projects were really "post worthy," but I am going to shake it off. It may take some time to get back into the swing of things. Someone actually chose to "hide all posts" on Facebook, so that felt pretty good.  I can see how annoying it could be to see a post from me once every 18 months or so.  I'm such a spammer.  Clearly this whole blogging for fun is going really well. I'm very laid back. 😐

Anywho - I jumped on the shaker card bandwagon last year and even though I am still slow at putting them together - the finished product always feels fun and extra special.  I bought Papertrey Ink's Shakers + Sprinkles kit last year, and loved it.  The kit was a great jumping off point and it was so nice to have everything I needed all at once. Plus, I tend to love everything that Betsy Veldman makes, so it was a win win. 


The kit came with some super sticky double sided foam, which in theory is amazing and I'm sure it is great for lots of people, but I was completely spastic with it.  I ended up wasting a quite a bit because I couldn't seem to place it on the card correctly or the shaker elements would stick to the sides, which drove me crazy.  I switched to plain old white craft foam that you can find at pretty much any craft store.  It is cheaper and overall I tend to have more success with the cheap stuff.  I love when that happens!  


 My second card contains two of my all time crafting loves - kraft paper and Peachy Keen Stamps.   Kraft paper for LIFE!  I have given up adding white faux stitching to everything, but if that trend ever makes a come back - I am all over it.  The Happy Lashes set from Peachy Keen specifically is my favorite set, but as of today, I don't see it for sale on their site.  I did see the Rosie's Favorites Face Assortment and it is very similar to the Happy Lashes set.  


I paper pieced the snowman's winter accessories and added a little bit of shading and color with my Copics.  Instead of sequins or micro beads, I used some clear tinsel glitter for the shaker element.  

You may notice in upcoming posts that some items such as paper or even a few stamp sets aren't available for purchase right now.  I really hope that isn't too annoying.  I will try to link to like items whenever possible.  I honestly haven't really bought a ton of craft supplies over the last year.  I do have some new (to me) stamp sets and I a bit of paper, but if you are expecting to see the latest and greatest stuff, this might not be the right place. Maybe I will inspire you to dust off some of your old supplies and use them in a new way or I may inspire you to unfollow.  (See...I'm totally letting it go.)  I have already posted more in 2015 than 2014, so I have that going for me!  

Hope you are having a great week!  We have one more week of summer before school routines start again.  Some days I am totally ready and some days I wish summer break would last a bit longer.

Supplies:

post signature

7 comments:

Deb said...

So happy to see you post again. I always love seeing your creations!

Melissa said...

So glad to see ya back, wonderful shaker cards, fun fun!

Millie said...

Welcome back!! They are both ADORABLE!!!
Have a wonderful day,
Millie
Crafting With Creative M

Erica said...

Listen, some people prefer their FB feeds to be pits of misery and ugliness and we have to respect that.

Lisa Kay said...

So CUTE!!!

Joann Williams said...

Welcome back Lauren! Such cute cards!!! And I wouldn't be so keen on thinking that you will scare off people because of using old supplies. MOST of us are in the exact same boat you are in my friend! We are all using old stuff but "new" to us.... keep on creating and we'll keep on stopping by! Have a great weekend!
Hugs,
Jo
♥ Jo's Scrap Shack ♥

Kimberly Dineen said...

Welcome back! I am so happy to see you're blogging again. I have never made a shaker card but want to. Thanks for the tip about craft foam.