Friday, February 26, 2016

Updated Craft Room Tour

I haven't done a craft room tour since I first started blogging.  I have reorganized a lot.  It seems like most crafters spend a lot of time reorganizing things.  I reached a point recently where I wanted to craft and the fact that my craft space was completely disorganized was not only making it harder for me to craft - it was making me not want to craft.  Over the summer I read The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo.  While it did NOT inspire to completely overhaul my life and house - it did give me the inspiration to overhaul my craft space.  I hope what I have to share will help you create a space that it easier to work in.  Do I think my craft space will always be super neat and tidy?  NO!  I don't think most creative people are super tidy, but I do think that I have a better system in place to keep things from getting out of control.  I also think it has made me more mindful of what items I purchase.

I have a quick video and it's not super fancy, but I have been promising a craft room tour for so long that done is better than perfect at this point!



You must sort EVERYTHING!  
This is going to take time - it may take a lot of time depending on how much stuff you have.  I cut corners the last time I did a major clean out and because I didn't sort through everything, it didn't last.  You have to go through every button and every scrap of paper.  It's not always super fun, but it's the only way to really know what you have.  I was shocked at how much stuff I had/have. 

I try to make sure my desk has things that make me happy all around, so I have kids' artwork and photos that make me smile.  Instead of using my embellishment organizer for displaying ribbon and glitter, I now use it to house my baker's twine and buttons! (Those jars are repurposed Archer Farms spice jars.)
The money is already spent - so get over it.
Yes, all of those supplies add up, but if you are never going to use the stamp set or those little scraps of paper - why are you keeping them?  I asked myself that a LOT!  There are certain things that I can't part with and I'm ok with it.  For me I had the hardest time tossing stamp sets and I felt a little sick when I took a huge box of paper scraps to the recycle bin.  I kept asking - do I really LOVE this piece of paper for example OR do I feel guilty throwing it away?
This drawer comes with dividers that you can position in a bunch of different ways. 
Make your space work for you!
I have moved away from using my die cutting machine, and I more interested in stamping.  I know that I wanted my stamps and Copic markers organized in a way that made them the most accessible.  I also realized that I had a ton of cards just sitting in baskets LITERALLY gathering dust.  I want to actually use the projects that I make.  Now I have a little bin of cards that are easily accessed and ready to mail.
The door comes with a chalkboard, but I never used it.  I added magnetic material over the chalkboard and now it houses my thin dies.  I may end up adding the dies to the coordinating stamp pocket, but for now this works.
 Organizing bins, baskets, etc. will not solve all of your problems.
Do not get sucked into thinking that you immediately need to run out and buy a bunch of new stuff to organize your items.  My biggest most expensive purchase for my room was the furniture.  I thought long and hard about what wasn't working in my craft room before and what would make it work in the future.  My best advice is THINK, PLAN and MEASURE before you run out and spend a bunch of money.  Things that work for me and my space - may not work for you.  I had been keeping the majority of my stamps in regular office binders.  Not only was it not working - I NEVER used the stamps because I didn't want to take the time to take a binder down and flip through them.  (I know that sounds lazy, but it's so true.)   Maybe binders would be a great solution for you - just take the time to really think about it.  I had also planned on getting all new bins to store my stamps and other supplies in - but by cleaning out EVERYTHING I was able to repurpose things I already had and not spend a ton of money.
I did purchase an organizer for my Copics and I LOVE it.  I also keep my most used acrylic blocks and stamp pads in the basket next to the markers. 

If you see something in the video or in one of the pictures and I don't have the source listed, please comment or send me an email or a Facebook message.  I will try to source it for you and I will update the links below!
Sources
Thank you so much for stopping by!  I hope that this was helpful!
Have a great weekend!

post signature


2 comments:

Kimberly Dineen said...

Hey Lauren - I have the same Martha Stewart desk and hutch (I actually have two of them)! I use the pull out trays for my ribbon which works well since I have a ton! I like how you have your kids artwork up as decoration. I do the same thing :). I also like your glitter storage. Mine is in a drawer and I keep my stamp sets in clear Video tape boxes on shelves. It's working so far, so I'm happy. Glad to hear you renewed the links for your cards and scrapbooking. I love looking at your projects for inspiration!

Lauren Brewer said...

I would love another hutch...even after I cleaned everything out. I have been really happy with the quality of the furniture. I meant to mention it in the video, but the only thing I would change is maybe the desk's surface. I am not always neat so mine has gotten a few stains and dings. One day I'd love to put a piece of tempered glass on top. I love the idea of putting ribbons in those trays. I probably could have fit all my baker's twine in one. Thanks for stopping by!