Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Paper Smooches - Pop of Color Challenge

I am back with more Paper Smooches stamps.  I was going to wait until Thursday to post this one, but I am so happy with how these cards turned out...I decided to post them now.  (That hardly ever happens.)  I am playing along with this month's Paper Smooches challenge - Black and White with a Pop of Color!  As soon as I saw this month's theme, I immediately envisioned my favorite florals colored in grey with just pops of pink.  For this first card, I did LOTS of masking.  I used the little banner from Best Buds and stamped that first.  Once the banner was masked, I used some stamps from Blossoming Buds to add more flowers above and below.  I love the flowers from both sets, and I think they work so well together. 
This picture is a little dark, but I wanted to show you what the image looked like before I touched up it up a bit and added doodles.  It's funny...looking at it now I'm not sure why I felt so compelled to "touch it up."  But...at the time I felt like I needed to connect any little lines that did not quite connect because of the mask.  Once I started doing that, I couldn't stop.  I ended up outlining EVERYTHING and adding doodles.  I find it really therapeutic to sit and add little dots and lines, but if that stresses you out...skip it!  It's definitely not necessary.
Here's a close up of the image after I outlined everything and added some little doodles.  I added a little wink of stella to the flowers' centers and the banner.  For the background, I did a little ink smooshing with Hickory Smoke and Spun Sugar.  I then added some little splatters of Picked Raspberry.  The watercolored background was layered on top of some grey cardstock and then the whole panel was popped up using fun foam.  
I had so much fun coloring the first image that I decided to try it one more time.  I think this one turned out even better.  I think this is a fun technique to try and you don't need a lot of Copics to achieve the look you want.  I used a few cool greys for both cards and a few R markers and RV markers for the pink.  I could have used fewer if I would have been better at testing the color blending before I started.  Sometimes I tend to just go for it, and then end up having to go back and add different shades to get the color I was going for.  
Here's a close-up of the second image.   I again added lots of doodling to the flowers.  The background is stamped with a Market Street Stamp background stamp...unfortunately they are no longer in business, but I will link a few similar options below.  

Thanks so much for stopping by today!  Hope you are having a great day!

Supplies:
  • Paper Smooches - Best Buds Set
  • Paper Smooches - Blossoming Buds Set
  • Market Street Stamp - Distressed Notebook Paper (Click HERE to see a couple of different options)
  • Tim Holtz Distress Inks - Hickory Smoke, Spun Sugar and Picked Raspberry
  • Silver Sequins - Michael's 
  • Copic Markers
  • Wink of Stella Pen - Clear
  • Copic Multi-liner Pens 




post signature

4 comments:

Lin said...

Lauren, I'm popping over from the Paper Smooches blog, and so glad I did! Love your creations - I'm your newest follower....
This card is swoonable! I'd never have thought to add doodles as you did, but they are wonderful. Beautiful entry!

Jo - Jo's Scrap Shack said...

Lauren this card is gorgeous!!! I love the notebook paper background and your choice of color really stands out! This card is so pretty, I love how it has a mixed media look to it as well, just based off the detail you put into this. Beautiful!
Hugs
Jo
♥ Jo's Scrap Shack ♥

Michelle said...

Just beautiful!

karen h said...

Love this card! Love the watercolor background, the graphic/sketch look of the whole card, the huge bouquet of flowers, the notebook paper background...yep, all of it!