Thursday, April 21, 2016

You're a Wizard!

I mentioned in my last post that I got some Primsacolor pencils, so I've been working with them since they arrived.  I have been frustrated waiting for retailers to start stocking Copics again...holy moly - when will the shortage end??? (I obviously realize that this is a very small problem in the context of the world, but #firstworldcrafterproblems.)  Out of my impatience, came the desire to try out colored pencils, but woah...I had no idea how tricky they are.  I kept this card pretty simple, because - I felt like the image is so detailed that it really needed to be the focus.  I remember seeing a stamp or a tag on Pinterest a long time ago that said "This took me forever."  I think I may need that for any project that I use Prismacolor pencils to color.  That might send the wrong message to the recipient...maybe.  But seriously...this took forever.   
Here's a close-up of the finished image.  I love this sweet little girl from Mo Manning - my daughter is in the middle of reading the Harry Potter series (side note: HOW is that possible???  She was TWO when I started this darn blog.) so I thought this image would be perfect for her.  I didn't use anything other than the pencils themselves to blend the colors...no Gambsol or baby oil.  I love the effect you get, but it is definitely time consuming.  Once I finished coloring, I went back in with a black pencil and deepened some of the shadows and then I added black gel pen over some of the details that disappeared under the colored pencil.  There were a few little smudges right around the little girl's hair, so I outlined the top of the image with white gel pen to help make those disappear.  Luckily...I think it helps make the image stand out even more against the kraft cardstock.  To add a few more special details, I added little pops of white gel pen and some clear Wink of Stella pen.  The sentiment is an old vinyl rub-on from when I served on the EAD Designs DT.  EAD Designs is no longer in business, but I will link to some similar options.  

Thanks for stopping by today, and I hope you are having a good week so far!  Nicole and I are playing hooky this afternoon to go see Wicked!  She's so excited - I can't wait for her to see it!

Supplies:


post signature

No comments: