Tuesday, May 31, 2016

A Monster Thank You Gift!

If you follow along over on Instagram, you may have seen a photo of a ton of happy little monsters all colored and ready to be added to cards.  I used 8 of them to create a personalized note card set for my daughter's teacher as an end of the year thank you gift.  This post is picture heavy...sorry about that, but even though I used the same little monster - I love them all equally.  
In order to streamline the process a bit, I put these together in assembly line fashion.  Once all of the monsters were colored and embellished, I started working on the little tags.  I printed out the "from the desk of Mrs. Nicolas," onto white cardstock and then die cut the tags. I added a little bit of ink blending around the edges and added the monster using foam tape.
I die cut the tag shape in different colors of polka dot and striped paper.  I'm not sure why I ever purchase anything but polka dot and/or striped paper - it's all I ever seem to use and I never seem to have enough of it.  I quickly combined the two tags by punching a little hole through both and adding a baker's twine bow.  I set all of the tags aside and got to work on the kraft cardstock mats.  I debated embossing a pattern onto the kraft paper or even just leaving them plan, but decided instead to use a background stamp.  I used my paper trimmer to create 8 mats out and then used my MISTI tool to stamp the notebook paper background using Tim Holtz Distress Ink in Walnut.  After all the mats were stamped, I ran them through my Cuttlebug using a die from Simon Says Stamp to add the stitched border. 
  I used my MISTI stamping tool AGAIN to stamp the sentiment using a Versamark ink.  The MISTI really helped speed everything along, and ensured the sentiment was straight.  The ONE thing I forgot was to use my embossing buddy, to help keep the embossing powder from sticking to anything other than the sentiment.  Oh well.  I added white embossing powder and set everything using my heat tool.
As soon as I had the kraft cardstock all heat embossed, I cut and folded 8 A2 sized cardstock bases and attached the kraft mat.  That whole process would have gone much faster if I hadn't run out of tape for my ATG gun.  I wanted all of the tags to sit on the card at a bit of an angle, so I used foam tape between the tags and again to attach them to the card base.
If you made it this far - WOW, thank you for continuing to read and scroll!  This was a super long and picture heavy post, but these little monsters are just so cute.  We only have two more days of school till summer vacation!  Woohoo!  
Supplies:






post signature